• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone been vehicle shopping lately ? Or have insight on a downturn?

I just did a quick check, on www.autabuy.com
for 1997-2001 Dodge Dakota for quick reference on pricing

a lower milage truck would be a lil' more
but probably $10k or less still

there's a couple on there 2) 4x4s, 1) 2wd 1997-2001
(body style I like)
all were/are 1200+ & 1400+ & 1800+ miles away from me
so maybe closer to you

examples;
2001 crew cab SLT $4999 w/178k miles 4x4 no photo
probably v6
*2001 crew cab SLT 4.7lter v8 $6999 w/224k miles 4x4 no photo
both autos I assume
2000 ext-cab SLT $6900 w/186k miles
probably v6

I'm sure there's better sites too

--------------------------------------------------------------

mine is a SLT 4x4 ext-cab 5.2ltr Magnum 318cid V8 auto/od,
& I wouldn't sell it even for $15k,
I can't replace it for that
& not have a comparable truck/shape 'especially mileage' etc.
& power
(I have a few smog-legal bolt-ons, 1.7:1 HS rockers, AEM airbox/filter & intake,
cat-back Flowmaster delta-series 50 - 3" & tuner, all of which really woke it up,
bigger tires, for the spirited driving in the mountains & still get a lil' better milage too)

I love that lil' truck, it's got a lot of life left
at that rate I'm going maybe another 23 years :poke:

You're looking at trucks with 200k miles? Already one foot in the grave

288 on my 01 Cummins...put a clutch in it at 250 and it has recently developed an oil dribble at the vacuum pump. Woo. Hoo. 20mpg all day long and it'll pull anything I hook to it.

Vehicles built in the last 20 years or better, they can go well past 200k without breaking a sweat. My 11’ Cummins, 203k on it right now. I think the rings are starting to seat!

Excellent, maybe I can get an extra day or two off.
Diesel has always been overpriced, at least in SoCalif. I don't know how the trucking industry survives, which is very scary
Don't worry it hurts, but the consumers pay for it ultimately.
Diesel maintenance cost makes me laugh. Fuel, air, and oil filters.

Last edited:
You're looking at trucks with 200k miles? Already one foot in the grave
I'm not really looking for anything...
I was posting it as 'a price example' for another member...

If I was to buy one of them, I'd go thru them completely
replace what needed to be replaced or rebuild whatever I could
make it safe 1st, dependable

Our old cars are no different, just worn out earlier
hold (now/for now) value longer

Trucks are going up in value too (compared to the US $ now)
not everyone has $40k+ to buy new

Last edited:
Vehicles built in the last 20 years or better, they can go well past 200k without breaking a sweat. My 11’ Cummins, 203k on it right now. I think the rings are starting to seat!

Your own vehicle is one thing but I won't trust buying a vehicle from a stranger with that many miles. You know how well your own has been maintained I don't trust a stranger.

I have an 07 duramax with 421,000 on it and it still gets 18mpg. I would hop in it right now and drive it cross country if needed.

Ive read up on it a bit, and a few buddies have them - they say good things, and what I read on the net is as long as you dont push it too hard towing its a solid set up. Heaviest would be my 66 on an open trailer.
Idling is what kills them. EGR coolers plug up and cause issues. Just stay on top of oil changes and maintenance. I'm on my 3rd one. I love it. Never ran into anything it couldn't tow.

Your own vehicle is one thing but I won't trust buying a vehicle from a stranger with that many miles. You know how well your own has been maintained I don't trust a stranger.
I'm a fan of estate auctions. I have seen vehicles sell very cheap at those sales where nobody needs a car.

Auto Transport Service
Back