• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone drive Calvert Caltracs also on a street car ?

i run mine with , i think , zero preload left just touching right 1/2 turn preload .
I do not adjust for street driving , though i do adjust shocks .
2 different trans and valvebodies , no banging but for sure a solid thump on shift especially under 3500 change .
i tried leaving shocks set for track but it felt like driving a dump truck .
i think stall size if auto makes a big difference to what you feel .

Tex
What you mean with „ stall size „ ? The converter ?

Yes , you mean if you not drive the car “strong „ You will hear it with a bang , but if you drive it hard each gear to 4000 or more the bang will go more to silent , right . first I try the rubber around the sleeve for street driving , because on my system I have the bang only on the passenger side..,, if the rubber not change the Big Bang I will install a Camera who shows me what’s going up with my rear axle and the leaf springs if I in normal street drive mode
There is no "bang" from the caltracs its simply the hard shift transmitting throught the drivetrain , kind of like driving with a brass button clutch / dumping the clutch on each shift . I had the same before i fitted caltracs , i had a Griner rmvb in my footbrake transmission . And yes it is smoother at higher rpm probably because there is more load on the drivetrain as a whole .

Tex

52CF4AE7-3B39-4680-9372-D89593CBB684.jpeg
Done ! No more hard loud bang ...
I take the pre load out of the cal Tracs again and bring it as much as it possible clearance between the bolt from the cal tracs and the leaf springs.
After I wrapped sone fuel hose around the cal trac bolt and fix the fuel line rubber with some zip ties . Now because the fuel rubber installed I nearly contact with the rubber , like no play in it but also not real pre load . first test drive shows me the Big Bang sound goes more like a dull sound than before but still a noticeable bang if I shift between 2-3 gear with low RPM’s .
Shift between 1-2 gear ( full manual valve body with gear vendor ) it’s very smooth Quick and nice, only 2-3 gear are Hard and loud, only if you shift from 2-3 gear in very low speed with no RPM’s it will be go in also acceptable smooth.
After I make another test and drive from the Traffic light start in 1 gear shift soon in second gear and just drive it in second gear until the gear vendor goes in Automatics , ok there you short time to quick for the city ( because 45 miles switch in in automatic mode ) but ok otherwise can put it manual also at 30 miles but I don’t ... and you can cruise in the city in 2 gear with overdrive it’s be nice .
After I leave the town to the country road I speed up in my 2 gear with or without gear vendor wait unil the gear vendor goes in again speed up still in 2 gear over to about 4000 RPM’s and shift in the 3 gear and it’s nice , quick and smooth , and no bang anymore after release the food from the pedal a little bid before the police try to catch you on the country road , there only 60 mph allowed and wait for the high way to speed up how fast you want or can
Thank you very much all guys to give me some advise to get this prob fixed up !

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back