• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone drive Calvert Caltracs also on a street car ?

This is EXACTLY the noise problem. I had the same thing on my Coronet with Cal Trac Bars and Cal Trac Mono leaf spings....banged like crazy. I wrapped the sleeve with with thick rubber bushing material and this stopped the noise.
No idea. Seems fine. Maybe it is the pivots on the Cal-tracs?
Mike Gaines and anyone else...
Would you expect this "noise problem" as you have described it, and its cause, to also be something that I could encounter with split mono leaf springs and these Assassin traction bars? I'm asking because the Assassin bars are a little different than the Caltracs....
Smith-1-min.jpg

screenshot_20191206-130243_chrome-jpg.jpg

The assassin clamps to the spring, the calverts have that loose sleeve that can bounce on top of the spring (during power transition at a shift.
I would bet the assassin's are quieter.
Just don't get lost in the 847 adjustments, lol.

This is EXACTLY the noise problem. I had the same thing on my Coronet with Cal Trac Bars and Cal Trac Mono leaf spings....banged like crazy. I wrapped the sleeve with with thick rubber bushing material and this stopped the noise.
Oh interesting that I not alone with this problem ! yes it’s a very very loud Big Bang !
First I think also it’s the Aluminium sleeve who hits the leaf spring if I change the gear from second to third gear .and I see also if I loosen the rods fully , the rods specially on the passenger side with one layer more leaf spring to short , and the maximum gap between the sleeve and the leaf spring is a little more than 1/4-inch . Ok , if I take the lock nuts out I get another 1/4- inch space between the sleeve and the leaf spring, but this is not enough too . after I think” ok” I give the rods some “ pre load “ like a 1/4 to / 1/2 or a 3/4 turn , like when you drive on the drag strip, and the sleeve still tough my leaf spring and can not hit my leave spring and give me this Big Bang .
But unfortunately not .... do you think although the sleeve get some gab between sleeve and leaf spring by changing the gear ? i try up to 3/4 turn pre load on the caltrac rods .
But i will loosen the rod again how much I can and wrapped the sleeve in a rubber , and will see the bang “ sound “ will gone or change it . thank you for the advise !!! Also 33 IMP thanks !

My spool and rear axles clunk and make noises around corners but driving down the street there are no issues with the Cal-tracs. I street my car a LOT! Drove it to work yesterday, in fact. Aluminum bushings in the front spring eye bushing as well.

View attachment 984272
You have pre load on you’re Caltracs when driving on the street ( shopping / Highway ) etc ? Or full “ open” with the mostly gab between the sleeve and the leaf spring to try same like the caltracs not Installed ... because i think on street driven much better the caltracs are fully not activated , means no pre load on it , with a big gab between the sleeve and the leaf spring .

You have pre load on you’re Caltracs when driving on the street ( shopping / Highway ) etc ? Or full “ open” with the mostly gab between the sleeve and the leaf spring to try same like the caltracs not Installed ... because i think on street driven much better the caltracs are fully not activated , means no pre load on it , with a big gab between the sleeve and the leaf spring .

I run them with a small gap.

With a spool the suspension gets twisted on turns,especially tight turns!
I don’t drive a spool, just a Moser Dana 60 with Detroit locker , and the big loud bang appears just by sift in a another gear , and especially if the car is not or not much under load . Like cruising out of a city and speed up with cruise mode speed to 60 miles and Shift in 3 gear . i have a Full manual valve body with a gear vendor behind , but means I have to shift each gear from 1-3.
Today I will wrap the sleeve and try again something change it or not . After I make also some photo from one steel to steel contact area I see on the bracing .

They move around and make noise,just NOT a loud bang! Sum-ting-wong:rolleyes:
Can you make a photo from the location where you use the zip ties ? In the heim eyelet itself or around ? And only when you drive it on the street , not on the drag , right ?

Can you make a photo from the location where you use the zip ties ? In the heim eyelet itself or around ? And only when you drive it on the street , not on the drag , right ?
Both sides of the heim quiets them down.I leave them there.I also do not change my shock setting for street driving.

But the gap between the Aluminium sleeve and the lead spring I think is to short

Aluminum sleeve?
I had Cal-Tracs on my car a long time ago, but there was no aluminum sleeve.
There was a bolt that went between two holes in the front plates, and that bolt is what contacted the spring.

The current on line instructions show that bolt has been replaced by a “roll pin”.
There is no mention of any aluminum sleeve.

Got any pics of it?

i run mine with , i think , zero preload left just touching right 1/2 turn preload .
I do not adjust for street driving , though i do adjust shocks .
2 different trans and valvebodies , no banging but for sure a solid thump on shift especially under 3500 change .
i tried leaving shocks set for track but it felt like driving a dump truck .
i think stall size if auto makes a big difference to what you feel .

Tex

Aluminum sleeve?
I had Cal-Tracs on my car a long time ago, but there was no aluminum sleeve.
There was a bolt that went between two holes in the front plates, and that bolt is what contacted the spring.

The current on line instructions show that bolt has been replaced by a “roll pin”.
There is no mention of any aluminum sleeve.

Got any pics of it?
I will make it , but I think sorry I don’t know why I call this sleeve “ or bolt“ Aluminium , you right I mean the bolt who hit or touch the leaf spring If you go on pre load .

i run mine with , i think , zero preload left just touching right 1/2 turn preload .
I do not adjust for street driving , though i do adjust shocks .
2 different trans and valvebodies , no banging but for sure a solid thump on shift especially under 3500 change .
i tried leaving shocks set for track but it felt like driving a dump truck .
i think stall size if auto makes a big difference to what you feel .

Tex
Yes , you mean if you not drive the car “strong „ You will hear it with a bang , but if you drive it hard each gear to 4000 or more the bang will go more to silent , right . first I try the rubber around the sleeve for street driving , because on my system I have the bang only on the passenger side..,, if the rubber not change the Big Bang I will install a Camera who shows me what’s going up with my rear axle and the leaf springs if I in normal street drive mode

Auto Transport Service
Back