• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else grow up with a high performance Mopar in the family?

Like many of you my Father was a MOPAR man.36 Plymouth, 53 Chrysler Newport,57 Chrysler Saratoga, 63 Chrysler 300. My brothers started driving with the 300,both gas station jockey's so the Hot Rod stuff began. The 300 got a bunch of bolt on goodies,so much that my mom didn't want to drive it anymore.What did dad do ? He went out and bought a shinny new gold 68 Coronet R/T. Mom was ok with it as long as my brothers kept their hands off of it.Little over a year later dad gave the R/T to my brother and bought a shinny new 70 Dart Swinger.Many more Mopars came and went after that in the family over the years.

Last edited:
Parents test drove a '71 Challenger R/T (plum crazy with white vinyl top/stripes and Magnum 500 wheels) in the spring of 1971. Father really wanted it but Mother would not "be caught dead driving a purple car". They briefly considered a used burnt orange 70 Challenger but ended up with a used '68 Dart GT (light green with black vinyl roof, 273/torqueflite on the floor) . . . (sigh). That was followed by a 72 Fury III hardtop (360/torqueflite) and then a 76 Gran Fury Custom (360/torqueflite).

My step father Bob was a drag racer Stock Eliminator,
married my mom when I was 6 y/o, he had a bunch of hot rods
albeit he was mostly a Pontiac guy for the most part, racecar wise
we had a few daily drivers Mopars performance cars
(a few other brand-x makes too, Buick Ford Pontiac Olds Rambler Jeep Willys}
my Mom's 1st new car was a
1968 383 4bbl 4 speed Sport Satellite GG1 & white top & guts
My step dad had a 60 Phoenix Dart D500 383/330hp Long Ram
{it was freaken' pink/cream of all colors}, he bought it for like $500
he had a Desoto Fireflight Sportsman 341ci Hemi too
but, I was too young to really remember much about it,
he didn't keep it long, sold it when we bought a bigger house...

I was taken home from the hospital, after I was born in 1959
in a 57 Savoy 2 dr Wagon, my moms car, dad got from the Shell Oil fleet
not exactly a barn burner/performance car, but it's a Mopar...
I'd love to have that car now, I'd so pro-mod that thing...

from 1974 on I purchased Performance Mopars of all kinds
I surely well made up for the parents, lack of owning them

Nobody but me.. I bought the 51 wayfarer business coupe, wasn’t a hot rod when I bought it but I was working on it. Then I bought the 69 charger with the blown up 426. Nope don’t have anymore sold it for the 73 charger that ran. If I only knew... anyway, Dad had Chevy trucks. Small foreign cars good on gas..

My Dad bought a 62 Polara500 2dr ,361cu inch
305 h/p,I later bought it from him
Loved those push buttons
Would get 2nd gear rubber.
Brother had a 67 Dodge Coronet R/T

I almost forgot , we also had a boat.
Century Coronodo 20 ft with a Hemi
in it.

I'm the youngest of 8...my brothers were Chevy ,Ford Chevy ,and then...MOPAR. my sister had a 66 barracuda ...I was in hotrods from day 1 ...in 1966

Auto Transport Service
Back