• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else have fuel pour out the vent tube!!???

Thanks for taking the time to post those pictures inverse1216.
It seems the manufacturer of your tank had made the tank like it should be.
Is the car close to going? it would be interesting to find out if your vents work correctly.

im in the process of replacing/rebuilding the fuel components and at that point should be able to start the car. ill chime in if I have any issues

What vendor? And what sending unit are you planning? Very interested in final results. Thank you for your post

OER authorized is the vendor. I will also be using their stainless steel sending unit.

Did you take a flashlight and look inside the tank to see which vent is short and which goes all the way to the rear of the tank???? My Bee is one way and the Bird is the other. Front (short) vent tube goes up into the trunk and back down, rear (long) vent tube goes to the shorty tube up into the shock mount.
Wanting resurrect this topic.
So which way is this supposed to be? I have a 14 year old spectra premium cr9c tank. When looking at the tank from the front of the car looking to the rear the first vent line (left) is the short one, the one on the right is the long tube. The previous owner of this car had the short candy cane vent line that goes up near the shock mount hooked up to the short line in the tank. Is this correct?

No.. I described correct in what you quoted.
Yes you’re right, sorry for wasting your time.
I found old file photos of my original 69 tank and an NOS tank bought from Mopar in 1996. Inside the tank, long line closet to the sender, which the short line outside is hooked too. It’s just that this spectra premium tank messed me up. I will reverse the lines from the way the previous owner had them hooked and should be good to go.

He also put a 3/8 pick up with 1/4 return sending unit in it. It should be fine to just block the 1/4 return for my 69 application, correct?

Last edited:
Yep, just cap it with a rubber plug and clamp.
Just a thought has anyone installed a vent in the filler neck and then run the line to one of the vent lines you have. On heavy haul there is a vent in in the filler neck a 3/8 or 1/4 line back to the tank or into the atmosphere. Fuel caps not vented and line returning to the tank allows over flow and smell to stay in the tank. Just a thought good luck.

Characteristic. Mine runs as high as the rear shelf. They don’t like to be parked nose down.

Just a thought has anyone installed a vent in the filler neck and then run the line to one of the vent lines you have. On heavy haul there is a vent in in the filler neck a 3/8 or 1/4 line back to the tank or into the atmosphere. Fuel caps not vented and line returning to the tank allows over flow and smell to stay in the tank. Just a thought good luck.

That wouldn’t be a vent then. You described a closed loop.

You are correct. But finding this on heavy haul with no problem leakage. But you can always plug the second vent then run a hose from the neck to the front of the tank or wherever you wish to put it. For heavy haul it works like the overflow tank on the radiator just without the tank. Pressure builds up fluid up to the top back down the little hose back into the tank.

Some info I read and thought it might be helpful to post here.
I was reading an article by Richard Ehrenberg in the December 2019 edition of Mopar Action.
On page 76 he uses an emissions style gas cap which may solve a tank issue easily.

Having read this thread again, after many months...I see that not one person has mentioned that the original OR re-pop fuel tanks are manufactured with baffles.

The tanks are one large open vessel inside. I can assure you all from personal experience, that the fuel does move around quite a lot while driving, and you will get a similar effect as when you shake a bottle of coca-cola.

Pressure will build up just by the fuel sloshing around.

I had leakage issues in my GTX a while back...cleaned out the vent stubs on the tank with a set of gas-torch cleaning rods, and replaced the rubber hoses. Once I was satisfied with the seal on the vent lines, I then re-sealed the sender unit with a correct rubber washer and original style thicker lock-ring - thanks to Mopar Mitch. I also stated using a Vented cap on the tank. I never had problems again with that car leaking fuel.

On my A100, I had massive fuel pressure and leakage issues to start with. Original tank with a slightly modified fill tube route. This mod turned out to have a very slight 'goose-neck' - which caused blow-back when filling up at the local stations. I had to fill the tank using bottles, as the pressure in the pumps was too high. Solved all those issues with a new fuel tank - complete with baffles, re-designed filler neck which is downhill all the way, and an EFI flow-return system. I also have a good quality filter on the vent line which sits just inside the fill cap - at least 2 feet above the top of the tank.

No problems with filling up or any sign of leakage now. :)

In the early days, with the leaks, as I was bouncing the truck doing burnouts, the fuel would pressurise severely, to the point where the fuel was spraying out of the filler cap. I released the cap one day at the Drags, and fuel shot out of the filler tube....lost quite a bit that day.

:xscuseless:

This is what I had been doing the day that fuel shot out of the filler tube....

:D

Auto Transport Service
Back