• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever notice the movement of antifreeze when idling?

bigmanjbmopar

Newb with a view
Local time
4:29 AM
Reaction score
Anyone ever notice the movement of antifreeze when idling? I see very little if any movement of liquid during idling, watching the temp gauge go from 0-180° then to 200° then back down to 180° all the while no real noticeable movement, it is a little more full than I would normally keep it !/2" from the top.

I even checked the temp of the water with the cap off, stuck a probe in and saw 190° checked gauge and it matched. hmm guess I am just used to seeing a rush of liquid from small block pumps.

its not going to move all that much until the t-stat opens BIGMAN.

its not going to move all that much until the t-stat opens BIGMAN.

Well that's what I am saying the stat is opening, temps going from 200° back down to 180° means the stat is open. but only a slight change in movement, more like the ripples of vibration..it's weird

if it aint over heating.....i wouldnt worry. from the looks of it, your in-car gauge is accurate and reading what its supposed to.

for the record. coolant is not supposed to move all that fast....this gives the radiator time to do its job and cool the antifreeze. if it moved too fast thru the system....it would just be putting hot coolant back into the block......but im sure you know this !

my 383 and 440 both have the coolant looking like its not moving at all,,,but they both run at a perfect temp 0f 195!

maybe its an "obstacle dillusion ?":sideways tongue:

if it aint over heating.....i wouldnt worry. from the looks of it, your in-car gauge is accurate and reading what its supposed to.

for the record. coolant is not supposed to move all that fast....this gives the radiator time to do its job and cool the antifreeze. if it moved too fast thru the system....it would just be putting hot coolant back into the block......but im sure you know this !

my 383 and 440 both have the coolant looking like its not moving at all,,,but they both run at a perfect temp 0f 195!

maybe its an "obstacle dillusion ?":sideways tongue:
You are correct sir! A lot of guys think that the coolant is gushing through the cooling system very rapidly. No so. Especially at idle. So don't worry. Be happy!:hello2:

Auto Transport Service
Back