• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anyone ever soaked an afb or Edelbrock carb in either of these

It wasn't too bad. Pour small amounts in and test often so you don't go too far and turn it acidic.

This product will definitely work, but I wouldn't leave aluminum parts exposed to it for very long and I wouldn't immerse aluminum parts in it. It would be better to brush it onto the parts; and rinse.

View attachment 1628675
Thats what I used and to be honest. Not impressed. Its definitely not what it used to be 10-15 years ago

I soaked them in it 24 hrs plus.
Scrubbed them then another soak most of the afternoon. End up taking some Dawn powerwash , an old toothbrush.
Then a quick scrubbing using a 50-50 mix of CLR and water. Even used a brass bristle brush as well

Its not what I would like in a finished finish.
But its as far as Im willing to go so to not risk damaging a $1500 carb

carb1.jpg

carb2.jpg

Well decided against either of the 2 zep products.
Carb on left was dipped in Berryman carb cleaner

Carb on right I used heated simple green 50/ 50 water mix.

Hard to tell in pictures.
But I like the finish on the right one better ( it's the front Carb btw )

No sonic cleaners avaliable local.
So filled a cheap turkey roasting pan and heated it on outdoor gas grill set at lowest heat setting I could get it.

I'm sold

20240319_113509.jpg

Sounds a little wacky but I sprayed the outer bodies of my carbs with Boeshield T-9 and let it soak in and it seemed to freshen their appearance. I figured it might prevent staining of the carb bodies but that remains to be determined.

Obviously the best way to make them look new is to have them professionally restored. I’m not sure if they use vapor honing or some form of chemical plating, etc?

I us
Avoid anything with sodium hydroxide in it.....it will eat up the aluminum. That is what ez-off oven cleaner has in it, and Zep also has a cleaner that is loaded with Sodium Hydroxide. It's good for taking anodize off aluminum....but it won't stop at the anodize layer so you have to keep out a watchful eye. I definitely would not soak a carb in it.
I use some stuff from Dollar General it is called Totally Awesome I use a cheap ultra sonic cleaner off Ebay. Example of before and after. Yes in my experience the Zep products may take off the finish.
Wondering if they will cause damage or issues for a rebuild.
Soaking them in carb cleaner isnt doing much after 24 hours

View attachment 1628524

IMG211004-033313F.JPG

IMG211003-010431F.JPG

Sounds a little wacky but I sprayed the outer bodies of my carbs with Boeshield T-9 and let it soak in and it seemed to freshen their appearance. I figured it might prevent staining of the carb bodies but that remains to be determined.

Obviously the best way to make them look new is to have them professionally restored. I’m not sure if they use vapor honing or some form of chemical plating, etc?
Friend of mine told me spray then down with WD40 after. It makes them shine

I've spent all day today bent over the front doing valve seals. Im done for the day

Found out this morning my Super Perf intake gasket order got cancelled. So Might end up using the Felpro set I had have coming instead.

Auto Transport Service
Back