• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anyone ever soaked an afb or Edelbrock carb in either of these

gtx6970

Local time
11:01 AM
Reaction score
Wondering if they will cause damage or issues for a rebuild.
Soaking them in carb cleaner isnt doing much after 24 hours

20240315_105424.jpg

I have found some cleaners must be acidic, and will attack aluminum. Castrol SuperClean is one of these. It is mild enough to strip paint off my models without damaging the plastic, but pretty well dissolved an aluminium part that I was soaking in it to clean.

Last edited:
Avoid anything with sodium hydroxide in it.....it will eat up the aluminum. That is what ez-off oven cleaner has in it, and Zep also has a cleaner that is loaded with Sodium Hydroxide. It's good for taking anodize off aluminum....but it won't stop at the anodize layer so you have to keep out a watchful eye. I definitely would not soak a carb in it.

I used to use Berryman’s Chem Dip decades ago and it used to do a good job. But I bought a gallon of it recently and it’s just not the same stuff now. Not that effective. I bought an Ultrasonic cleaner recently and it does a very good job of cleaning carbs. This was after I drained the fluid out. I would guess there was twice this much residue in the bottom when I started draining it.

IMG_1831.jpeg

I use an ultrasonic cleaner anymore, but agree the carb dips nowadays are nowhere effective as they used to be. The last Berryman dip I used wouldn't even dissolve grease off the carb body without scrubbing or brushing. I have not used either of the 2 in the original post.
I use this in my heated ultrasonic, but sometimes it takes 3-4 cycles:
https://www.amazon.com/Ultrasonic-S...2&psc=1&mcid=d1a14a5ffa963e60b633d7c4aa4e1f4b

That’s what I use also.

I have found some cleaners must be acidic, and will attack aluminum. Castrol SuperClean is one of these. It is mild enough to strip paint off my models without damaging the plastic, but pretty well dissolved an aluminium part that I was soaking in it to clean.
It is quite the opposite of acid. It is highly alkaline, some might say caustic.

It will attack aluminum big time.

The MSDS lists a pH 12.5 to 13.8 which is caustic.

Not acidic. Caustic. Its aggressive to aluminum.

It is quite the opposite of acid. It is highly alkaline, some might say caustic.

It will attack aluminum big time.

The MSDS lists a pH 12.5 to 13.8 which is caustic.
For cleaning aluminum, a good PH is about 8-10. An aggressive PH is 10-11, but can make aluminum black if left in too long. Caustic sode is in the range of 12-14 IIRC and ONLY for cast iron. I use to use the higher Alu safe from Allprep, but got tired of having to monitor it often. I have since gone to Citrus Spray and another from Pro-Chem. Cleaning parts in the machine shop can surely be a PITA for sure.

Just a tip, if you have a high PH cleaning solution, sulfuric acid (battery acid sold in parts stores) will lower the PH to achieve a 7.0 which is the PH for water.

if you have a high PH cleaning solution, sulfuric acid (battery acid sold in parts stores) will lower the PH
And generate a lot of heat when mixing the two together!

This product will definitely work, but I wouldn't leave aluminum parts exposed to it for very long and I wouldn't immerse aluminum parts in it. It would be better to brush it onto the parts; and rinse.

11289460_bry_0996_pri_larg~2.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back