• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have a real A12 car for sale?

In my search for an A12 I have been finding it really difficult to determine value of the cars that I have found or have been offered. I would take either a super bee or road runner with personal preference toward a RR. Need the 4 speed in either car. So what is a reasonable price for either a project car or a finished car. Prices so far have been from 20K to 50K for a project car and from 60K to 100K for a car that is together and pretty complete. Most complete cars have paint jobs that are at least 10 years old... Lots of non matching motors with correct casting dates but not original to the car. Is this a sticking point when buying an A12? Never figured it would be so difficult to spend money!!! Thanks for all the replies. Spook.

It's up to you in the end. What do you want? A un molested M code A12 All original with all the old parts needing repair / replacement at some point? Or a completely gone through restoration keeping all the original parts just rebuilt?

What is your feelings on clones? Some are dead on but admitted clones some are not. How about a 69 RR and just make it what you want? cough cough my 69 :)

In the end it is what you want not what some one else is telling you. I think you would look good in Meep Meeps 66' hemi charger ;)

I would like a real car. Been the street machine venue and you stick a ton of money into a car and then when it is time to part company all you hear is " Oh its a clone...my buddy bought a real car for XXXX" Done with that game. I have my 64 Savoy with a 572 Hemi for my "clone" car. As for which brings more, that is up for debate: I think the condition and originality of the car determines value more than brand. Some say Super Bee's others claim the Road Runner brings the most dollars. So I guess you pay your money and take your chances. I just happen to like the body style of the RR a bit more. As far as BJ prices...not the real world in my mind. But then who am I to say what someone's car is worth on a given day. I do know that what ever car I end up with eventually it will be completely restored, just a sickness I have regarding making cars as perfect as I can. As someone once said, it is the build, not the car and maybe that is correct. That being said I tend to gravitate toward recently restored cars for cost/benefit reasons. Thank you all for your replies. Spook

Non original motors are probably pretty common in A12s. They weren't babied when new, and if I ever get mine back on the road, it won't be babied when old either.

It seems like what you might be running into on prices is either guys who really don't want to sell, or dealers who have cars that should be restored but still have a high price due to markup and overpaying to begin with.

There were a handful of real nice cars sold off the A12 site in the past year or so, so they do come up for sale, just not real often.

So, with all this said & done, what's a good quality (not rotisserie restoration) '69 6-pack Road Toad really worth these days?

Value is totally subjective.....! How bad does the seller want to sell...... How bad does the buyer want the car.....?

What significance does the car have....? What condition is the car in....? How well documented is the car....? How is the car equipped....?

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to special order an A12 Road Runner in 1969.
The car was sold after 2 1/2 years and I have never seen or heard of it again. It has never surfaced in the registery.

If I were in the market and this car turned up .... What would it be worth to me....? WHATEVER THE SELLER WANTED...!

After reading this entire thread the above advise is right on. I will add this to it.

Today you see WAY more cars (A12s included) advertised with the original drivetrain that DON'T really have them. Re-stamping has been going on for years and they can be done so it can not be detected. The A12s were beat on from day one and don't believe anyone that tells you theirs is the exception, no one bought one to baby it.

What you really have to decide is if you want a trailer queen because you will be nervous about driving it the way the car was intended to be driven and destroying the original (maybe) engine.

You have been looking long enough and should have a good grasp of the market to know what a fair price is. All of that will go out the window if you find THE car that trips your trigger and you will pay what it is worth to YOU. There is nothing wrong with paying over the current market norm if it is the car that makes you happy. Remember, the price is soon forgotten when you are happy but will be a thorn in your side forever if you settle for something less than what you really want.

I absolutely agree. I sometimes think I am looking for a car that I will never find as it seems that either the condition is not what I want to address after paying top dollar for a car in todays market, or the car is not as represented. I do know that like anything else, money always spends. As for garage queen....more than likely as I do enjoy perfection (or close as possible) in my cars which is really a limiting attribute that I have been battling for years. I don't go to car shows any more as they are just too nerve racking for me with all the idiots around the cars with little regard for the value of that 20K paint job. Don't even get me started about soccer mom's with strollers and sticky fingered rug rats! I am willing to pay good money, even above market for the right car but so far haven't come across that car that I need to take home. Maybe the wanting is better than the having, not sure, but will keep looking. Just for the giggles let me relate a make believe car that I would absolutely want to own: A12, fresh and correct restoration, orange, 4 speed, stunningly straight with an over restored engine bay and belly pan. Maybe not out there, but hey, I will keep looking. Thanks for your collective wisdom and putting up with my whining. I will be quiet now. Spook.

I absolutely agree. I sometimes think I am looking for a car that I will never find as it seems that either the condition is not what I want to address after paying top dollar for a car in todays market, or the car is not as represented. I do know that like anything else, money always spends. As for garage queen....more than likely as I do enjoy perfection (or close as possible) in my cars which is really a limiting attribute that I have been battling for years. I don't go to car shows any more as they are just too nerve racking for me with all the idiots around the cars with little regard for the value of that 20K paint job. Don't even get me started about soccer mom's with strollers and sticky fingered rug rats! I am willing to pay good money, even above market for the right car but so far haven't come across that car that I need to take home. Maybe the wanting is better than the having, not sure, but will keep looking. Just for the giggles let me relate a make believe car that I would absolutely want to own: A12, fresh and correct restoration, orange, 4 speed, stunningly straight with an over restored engine bay and belly pan. Maybe not out there, but hey, I will keep looking. Thanks for your collective wisdom and putting up with my whining. I will be quiet now. Spook.

Spook
Your right about the car gatherings being nerve racking. I never used to care. I usually have to have word with someone 50% of the cruises that I attend. Cruise in's bring more non-car people then an orginized car show. The nerves is really the only downside of doing the car to this extent. I've put 7,000 or so miles on the car since it was finished in 05 and it really has been a blast.
I describe my restoration as being overdone. I did it the way the factory would have if they took two years to build the car. Anyway V2 4spd overrestored! Just another chance to post my favorite pic. om my Bee.
Good luck with the search!
KID

Attachments

• fall_08_Calvin_shot.jpg
    fall_08_Calvin_shot.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 462
Kid, that is what I am talking about. Wish I had the coin you need to let go of that car because it would be in my garage! I will just keep on looking. Eventually a car will pop up that is what I am looking for and it will find its way home... thanks for posting the photo. Keeps me motivated in my search. Spook

Thanks. I have contacted the majority of those listings. Some never bothered taking their adds off and the cars are either sold over a year ago or some other issue. Did find a "restored" Bee that has non matching motor and limited documentation. Not sure what to think about that.... Thank you for the reply. Spook

I love reading about the hunt for the right A12. I got lucky when I started the hunt and got a local one with lots of local history. It was originally sold in Fort Worth, Texas.... changed hands once and sold to a guy twenty miles north of Dallas, Texas and was bought by the previous owner from him in 1984. Original motor and tranny were stolen in 84 before previous owner got it. He and his son rebuilt it with date code correct motor/tranny and he drove/raced it over the years and entered it a Dallas Autorama several times. It ain't matching numbers so I don't have to worry about tearing up a matching set and loseing $15 grand right off the top. I drive it every weekend and will treat the car the way it was meant to be treated. Good luck on your hunt and keep the posts coming.....can't wait to see what you get. Remember these cars are 43 years old and price will only go up, especially when they hit 50.

Thanks for the reply. Kinda what makes this hobby as exciting as it is. Cars are out there. Just need to find "the one". Spook

A12 core

Spook, have you seen this?

That looks like a great starter car.
Somewhere in Idaho there must be a T5 copper 69 Bee A12 clone with all the original parts to this car.

This would be a step up from a clone with non mumbers but correct componants. Great colors too.

Hey spook... i've got a complete 69 E series 440 HP engine. 10-29 date, a little to early for an A12, but close.

Spook, have you seen this?

That looks like a great starter car.
Somewhere in Idaho there must be a T5 copper 69 Bee A12 clone with all the original parts to this car.

This would be a step up from a clone with non mumbers but correct componants. Great colors too.

Hey spook... i've got a complete 69 E series 440 HP engine. 10-29 date, a little to early for an A12, but close.

I saw he said he'd spend 65 for one. Spook, you could win that car, get the 440 from bluefury and have you one heck of an A12 for way under your budget when done, I bet. Non numbers car, but who cares? It's still a real A12.

That car is under discussion at the lift off playground...has stirred up some interesting comments....including one that it would take 100K to finish this car right! Wow. As I replied there, if it would take a 100K to finish the car I am going to take up chess!! Thanks for the replies. Interesting car for sure. Spook.

That car is under discussion at the lift off playground...has stirred up some interesting comments....including one that it would take 100K to finish this car right! Wow. As I replied there, if it would take a 100K to finish the car I am going to take up chess!! Thanks for the replies. Interesting car for sure. Spook.

100K for whom to finish it? I could certainly finish it for far less. I think it all depends on how much work you can actually do yourself. You're gonna have to settle on a happy median somewhere. Good luck.

resto cost.....

That car is under discussion at the lift off playground...has stirred up some interesting comments....including one that it would take 100K to finish this car right! Wow. QUOTE]

I suppose if you bought the car and turned it over to a pro resto shop, let them locate and buy all the parts and do the work while you sat home and signed checks you may get into it for 100,00K

I think 50/55K plus the purchase price will yield a car you would be proud of and not afraid to drive. Asside from this forum and the lift off hood site there are not a lot of knowledgable folks out there who will pick the car apart. Performance and image will be there.... It's just to expensive to be **** about a car anymore.

Exactly. This is why I'm looking for either a 68 or 69 Dodge or Plymouth 2 door b body. I don't really care. It's gonna be my version of a Super Bee or Road Runner when done. "MY" version. lol

Auto Transport Service
Back