• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know of a source for an “electronic” voltage regulator that puts out no more than 14.2-14.4 volts?

Great news! The correct 70 RR alternator has just been installed and I’m happy to report that the voltage is at 14.2@ idle..a lot safer than 18v
Happy hot rodder!

Great news! The correct 70 RR alternator has just been installed and I’m happy to report that the voltage is at 14.2@ idle..a lot safer than 18v
Happy hot rodder!
Where did you source the 70 RR alternator and voltage regulator? Do you remember the model numbers? I went with the adjustable one earlier in the thread, but I would love to go stock.

My local (Merle’s)Napa for the alternator $80
Mopar VR@ Summit racing $80
Here’s the VR with #’s

IMG_1174.jpeg

IMG_1172.jpeg

Thanks! So after those two you have about 14.3 or so? Do you know the model number or amps for the alternator. I bought a similar black VR from Mancini and it put out 15.5. Thanks again!
15.5volts? Have you checked the voltage drop between the battery and the ign1 terminal at the regulator while running?

15.5volts? Have you checked the voltage drop between the battery and the ign1 terminal at the regulator while running?
You and I did this in another thread and you were a huge help! ☺️. I just want to know what parts he used.

If you are running points, find an old style original mechanical regulator. I'm sure I mentioned this before, but every single regulator sold today for the 69 and older cars with electronic guts will regulate around 15 volts. Unfortunate, but true. I got so fed up with them that I converted my cars over to Delco style alternators with internal regulation.
WHY don't you copy the circuit of the DELCO alternator. Gut one of your surplus mechanical voltage regulator and install the GM voltage regulator using the BLUE supply wire to monitor the battery voltage, in lieu of the GM's diode trio. There is NOTHING magical about the GM system. It has similar 3 phase full wave bridge rectifier circuit (physically different appearing, but performing the same function) to make the DC to charge the battery and operate the car PLUS it has a DIODE TRIO to furnish the DC via the internal regulator to power the rotating field windings. In the "internal" voltage regulator is a VOLTAGE DIVIDER network that controls the rotating field voltage snd ultimately the alternators output voltage. The output CURRENT is design controlled by the stator IMPEDANCE AND DIODE BRIDGE CAPACITY. It would be possible to mount the GM regulator inside the case of the Mopar mechanical voltage regulator. Because the GM voltage regulator is predominantly plastic, it would be fairly easy to isolate from ground, yet look like it belongs. Perhaps we should go in business and fill the apparent void.....??? We vould make beaucoupe $$$....NTERESTED????
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back