• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know what these are from?

idrivemopar

Local time
7:54 PM
Reaction score
These fell out of the steering column when i was tearing it down, i cannot find where they came from, checked the turn signal switch, the steering wheel, and they dont appear to match anything in the steering column.

Attachments

• IMAG0761small.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 334
Steering Column Shear Pins? Mopar collapsible steering column ....

Oh oh. Those are flux capacitor peedlepod portasnorkels. You better park it.

they almost look like panel clips off a much newer car.collapsible column clips is a good posibility,but i have never looked at those clips to be sure.

Steering Column Shear Pins? Mopar collapsible steering column ....

I thought this as well, but only the steering columns with gear shift on board have a gearshift tube with shear pins. this is not a column shift unit, so i dont see any place for these and no reference in the service manual to shear pins other than those with column shifters.

Any idea where they go on a non-column shift steering column? Cannot find a reference in any exploded view.

Edit, I found where the go on the steering shaft between the hollow section of the shaft and the upper flat section. Since those have been broken, looks like i will have to clean out those channels and re-inject hot plastic into it to reset it back to useful! any suggestions on what type of hot plastic to use?

Any idea where they go on a non-column shift steering column? Cannot find a reference in any exploded view.

Edit, I found where the go on the steering shaft between the hollow section of the shaft and the upper flat section. Since those have been broken, looks like i will have to clean out those channels and re-inject hot plastic into it to reset it back to useful! any suggestions on what type of hot plastic to use?
what about two part epoxy rather then hot plastic.prob be alot easyer to use and stronger then original.

Thats a possibility except rather messy trying to load something to force that into the channels, i will have to go look and see what type of hot glue or plastic is available, that would flow better into the channels through the small holes. I am guessing that is similar to what was done back in the day.

Yes, took a look at that, and already have learned this by taking apart my upper and lower shafts, so now on to cleaning it up and finding a suitable plastic resin to refill the grooves and holes for the shear pins. I see that some have drilled through the inner shaft and inserted plastic pins, i suppose this would also work, but i dont want to modify the shaft.

Thanks for the info, too bad that adhesive kit is no longer available. Sounds like an opportunity for someone to come up with something new!

oreilly has a two part that is in plunger tubes.what if you reuse the syringe to apply the resin into place.it dries to a hard plastic.we use it at the shop here all the time.just a suggestion.

That would work only if there were holes through the inner part of the shaft. The inner shaft has channels which the plastic or resin goes around, and also bonds lightly the inner and ourter shaft to reduce any play, so i am going to try a hot plastic melt and see how that works!!!

Refilled the channels with Plastex. I think this will work!

Attachments

• IMAG0773small.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 200
Auto Transport Service
Back