• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone make a bolt on fiberglass deck lid?

HT413

Semi Pro Bowler
Local time
2:05 AM
Reaction score
Thinking about picking up a new deck lid and prefer fiberglass. Does anyone make one that can work with hinges? Prefer it to work with stock hinges but a universal hinge kit is ok too. Gracias.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, for a 69 belvedere.

I would like one for my 69 runner but haven't seen any out theere as of yet ?!?!

I'm wondering if I can take a pin on deck lid and run hinges but without springs. That'll be a question I ask a vendor at Carlisle this weekend for sure.

check this out.
http://www.aarqualityfiberglass.com/catalog/648
HT413 if you see one you need, let me know because i'll piggyback on the order or you can piggyback on mine for cheaper shipping. I need one for my 65 dodge coronet too.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, these are the best quality fiberglass parts you can buy. just scuff and paint!

HMMMMMMMMMMM? That's me thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.usbody.com/pages_cars/68-roadrunner.htm

I'm wondering if I can take a pin on deck lid and run hinges but without springs. That'll be a question I ask a vendor at Carlisle this weekend for sure.

If you can do basic fiberglass work, then you have a chance. Depending on the underside finish, as well as adding spring mounts you'll need an anchor point for the trunk latch, and it may need work to get it to seal correctly. You could also ensure enough stiffness by adding necessary ribs to use the stock springs which can be adjusted to provide less torsion.

Are you just trying to save weight, or why want fiberglass?

If you can do basic fiberglass work, then you have a chance. Depending on the underside finish, as well as adding spring mounts you'll need an anchor point for the trunk latch, and it may need work to get it to seal correctly. You could also ensure enough stiffness by adding necessary ribs to use the stock springs which can be adjusted to provide less torsion.

Are you just trying to save weight, or why want fiberglass?

Excellent input, photon, great food for thought. I hadn't thought about the latch at all. My exploits in making a fiberglass fan shroud, while it turned out great, proved how terrible my glass skills are, so modifications will end up in disaster no doubt.

I was thinking about fiberglass for the weight mostly but also because my torsion springs are too long, so the deck lid is u sprung. I figured a glass piece would just need a support rod and I'd be done. Not sure if the hinges were moved during the mini tub operation or of I have c body torsion springs. I'll be going to. Carlisle to answer all of the above questions for sure.

Glasstek has one for a 70 but I don't know about the 69's and their site is down.

check this out.
http://www.aarqualityfiberglass.com/catalog/648
HT413 if you see one you need, let me know because i'll piggyback on the order or you can piggyback on mine for cheaper shipping. I need one for my 65 dodge coronet too.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, these are the best quality fiberglass parts you can buy. just scuff and paint!

Thanks for the input, Chris, I was looking at those pieces. I'll let you know of I go that route. Btw, what kind of a pain is it having a pin on deck lid? I already have a pin on hood.

Thanks for the input, Chris, I was looking at those pieces. I'll let you know of I go that route. Btw, what kind of a pain is it having a pin on deck lid? I already have a pin on hood.

your guess is as good as mine. I was wondering the same thing. bolt on's are so much easier but they are heavier. my original trunk lid is a heavy piece. mine needs to go on a diet. That's where I need to lose it net.

- - - Updated - - -

I just put a call in to AAR Fiberglass to see if they have one for Carlisle this weekend. I can go pick it up there
They're going to be there this weekend.

Excellent input, photon, great food for thought. I hadn't thought about the latch at all. My exploits in making a fiberglass fan shroud, while it turned out great, proved how terrible my glass skills are, so modifications will end up in disaster no doubt.

I was thinking about fiberglass for the weight mostly but also because my torsion springs are too long, so the deck lid is u sprung. I figured a glass piece would just need a support rod and I'd be done. Not sure if the hinges were moved during the mini tub operation or of I have c body torsion springs. I'll be going to. Carlisle to answer all of the above questions for sure.

I took a quick look at mine with a measuring tape for comparison - inside to inside for the hinge shafts is 39 7/9", the rods are about 43" as measured on the inside of the ends.

AAR Fiberglass makes a steel reinforced Deck Lid !

For a '69???

I see one for a '70

I don't ever see that being produced, but who knows.....

- - - Updated - - -

I have had a dzused on trunk on my 69 road runner for ever, it can be a pain if you are alone. I have a wing mounted to mine that makes it even more fun.

I have a new 69 Glastek pin on for sale

I am going to go to a carbon fiber replacement when I have the car repainted. Glastek, and others, will do this for more money.

Good luck, Mark

too late on the 65 dodge coronet deck lid for Carlisle, they already left yesterday but says they'll ship it for $146.00 plus $25.00 box charge

I took a quick look at mine with a measuring tape for comparison - inside to inside for the hinge shafts is 39 7/9", the rods are about 43" as measured on the inside of the ends.

Hey, thanks photon, for making the effort on those measurements. Seems like i have the right springs then. I cant wait for carlisle, because there is something wrong with my hinges and i cant figure it out. Theyre close enough to the oem locations that the hinges work, but i think they're tipped in or maybe just off enough that the springs are a tad too long and the ends slip off the deck lid levers (for lack of a better term).

- - - Updated - - -

I have had a dzused on trunk on my 69 road runner for ever, it can be a pain if you are alone. I have a wing mounted to mine that makes it even more fun.

I have a new 69 Glastek pin on for sale

Hmmm, that sounds interesting, is it the one you run with the dzus fasteners? The dzus fasteners are iffy for me, how many does it take to fasten the trunk? I take the kids to the park pretty frequently and would like to get into the trunk, even if i have to take 4 pins off, but a dozen or more dzuses would drive me nuts i think.

Anyway, how much are you looking to get and are you going to carlisle?

A pin on is a pin on, so to speak. With those things the mounting is up to you, if your preference is pins that would work just fine you have to put the mounting holes in for whatever you do.

I'll send you a PM on the lid.

-Mark

Why remove weight from the rear? All of these cars are nose heavy. For what it's worth a stock 64 deck lid weighs 58lbs. My 64 is lightened to #3150. It has 54% on the front. Steel body and bumpers, except hood
Doug

Why remove weight from the rear? All of these cars are nose heavy. For what it's worth a stock 64 deck lid weighs 58lbs. My 64 is lightened to #3150. It has 54% on the front. Steel body and bumpers, except hood
Doug

How did you get it so light?

Doug

Yes they are, my 69 Road Runner is #3210 and is 53% on the nose, but at the end of the day weight is weight and I am after getting rid of any I can without hacking the car up. As long as it hooks and goes you have less to haul down the track.

My 2 cents.

-Mark

How did you get it so light?
I'm very Tricky. 3330 w/me and fluids, Mostly attention to detail. Short bolts, no washers when not needed, moly steering shaft,strut rods, and cage. Light home made seats, (19# w/brackets),lexan side and rear windows w/o regulators, carbon fiber bumper brackets,aluminum drive shaft,shocks,hood pins, and fuel cell. Still has old school wheels, #28 frt,#48 rear w/ tires, Mega block, 2 #45 batterys and a fire system. I could easily lose another #100.
Doug

- - - Updated - - -

Yes they are, my 69 Road Runner is #3210 and is 53% on the nose, but at the end of the day weight is weight and I am after getting rid of any I can without hacking the car up. As long as it hooks and goes you have less to haul down the track.

My 2 cents.

-Mark
As long as it hooks. I run low 9s on a 10.5" tire. Bracket racing on less than stellar prepped tracks can be tricky. A lot of times my low 10 second 63 Dodge would go quicker when I added rear weight trying to slow it down to run index.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back