• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone restore steering wheels?

Dremel and a bevel the edges of all the cracks.. Fill with your choice of filler, sand and shape as needed. Prime and paint. Pretty simple as long as you sit back with a cold one and just pluck away.

I like the instructions to have a cold one...a shame there's more to it than that..lol

I use PC-7 epoxy to fix steering wheels. Easy sanding, holds up well.
Ahh - PC-7 is what we used, too, now that you reminded me. I had that listed wrong in my previous post - fixed it now. Damn, getting old sucks!

I had mine done maybe 10 years ago and now has a few splits so wondering about restoing myself this go around. Beautiful work posted here. Wondering about the steps to prep the cracks for filling...I suppose rough up with scotch pads and putty knife in to fill in/overlap cracks and let that dry to sand down...then prime & paint. Aside from the hours of work am I missing any tips?
One thing about the paint - make sure it has a flex additive. Otherwise it'll be more prone to cracking since you're painting plastic.

Rustoleum makes a plastic primer that you spray on first and then you can use any paint you want. I painted some plastic trim pieces for a rice rocket and it worked great.

I use PC-7 epoxy to fix steering wheels. Easy sanding, holds up well.

I love that stuff. I've used that to restore 2 steering wheels and it worked out great. I use it for all kinds of repairs.

I repaired the wheel on my 65 Coronet with JB Weld in the spoke areas and then to deal with the small perimeter cracks I bought a leather wrap that laces on. That also increases the rim diameter a little bit (these old rims feel so different after getting used to modern steering wheels). I took the interior paint code to a local parts store and had them mix up and put the paint in rattle cans and painted the column and wheel.
Mike

I did my own using JB Weld. Was pretty easy really, it just took a little time. Here's what I started with...

View attachment 757977

Deep cracks and missing pieces.

View attachment 757978

Damage was pretty much all the way around the wheel.

View attachment 757979

And the back of the wheel.

View attachment 757980

Filled all the cracks with JB Weld which sands pretty easily I might add.

View attachment 757981

Primed and painted.

View attachment 757982

And the finished product. Total cost... under $10.

View attachment 757983

I think that has to be the worst condition wheel I have ever witnessed! Nothing short of a miracle! Fantastic job!

So, everything I read is for some heavy-duty restorations like I've seen here. Great work, by the way!
My wheel has no cracks whatsoever, and I only need to sand and polish it to get the plastic to shine again.
I've been trying a lot of compounds and polishes to accomplish this but not able to get it right yet. If I
make a little too much heat, the plastic starts to smear. Anyone have any advice??? Thanks!

Craft Customs will leather wrap your steering wheel

So, everything I read is for some heavy-duty restorations like I've seen here. Great work, by the way!
My wheel has no cracks whatsoever, and I only need to sand and polish it to get the plastic to shine again.
I've been trying a lot of compounds and polishes to accomplish this but not able to get it right yet. If I
make a little too much heat, the plastic starts to smear. Anyone have any advice??? Thanks!

Try McGuiars Swirl Remover. By hand or low speed using a machine. Finial Cut is a bit more abrasive and Diamond Cut is the most abrasive.

Craft Customs will leather wrap your steering wheel
You can wrap your own too.
Mike
IMG_2073.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back