• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone tune with EGT's

I had EGT on my old blown mustang street car. Well it was nice to see when my EGT would spike there wasnt much I could do about it other than get off the pedal.

I think my Wideband O2s and Innovate LM1 was the best investment I ever made.

The go fast and blower and turbo car days are long gone but i even have a bung in my 67 318 2 barrel charger for my lm1

I bought one of those MTX-L. Haven't installed it yet. Where did you install the gauge, dieseldazzle?

I had the bung put right at the header collector on the blower cars and on the down pipe of my turbo car.

On my charger there is a bung in the exhaust pipe right after the flange Ill get a pic for you if you like.

My LM1 has a cigarette lighter plug and i can take it from car to car tho I dont need to anymore Im down to only one money pit now

Im talking about wideband af meter not a little trinket air fuel dum dum gauge.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yea and remember to install it to were condensation wont lay on it if you leave the sensor in there all the time. SO basically anywhere but the bottom of a parralelle to the ground pipe.

Innovate has info:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/manual/LM1_Manual.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

Do NOT install the Bung below the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock position.
Condensation can form in the exhaust pipe and permanently damage the sensor.
6 o’clock is the absolute worst position to mount the sensor

Sorry I won't be of much help

It will help to fine tune each specific cylinder, great for cars with port injection,
where you can fatten or lean each cylinder individually,
especially those that are prone to have lean spots {like blown, turbo or N20 combos},
each cylinder running the same temps as the rest, will aid to better performance...

I'm byfar not a computer guru, I never will be either & haven't even looked at that stuff since 2007 either...
My ol'partner Rob C. was the guy who did most all that stuff, read the Racepak stuff, I didn't have time to do both
{didn't really need or want to either, I was {still am} a little stubborn for sure}
I did the bulk of the tuning by previous experiences &
a few experts help to begin/baseline & he {Rob} told me where I was off,
it wasn't ever by allot, twice !!...
I always tuned by feel, some by weather & track conditions {DA} & mostly by reading the plugs,
after a good baseline pass...

but I'll be the 1st to admit,
it was a great tuning aid for Fuel Injection {especially if your on the ragged edge},
It didn't help me anywhere near as much on the Carb/'s equipped combos for me thou,
{helped with N20 Jetting on fogger port kits thou, even on carb combos}
you can stagger jet the carbs a little, to help to compensate on the Carb setups...

I had used it with split Dominators for a short while,
with each throttle plate/bore setting over each intake runner,
were jetting was much more precise, than a box or open plenum style typical multi-carb manifolds were...

it's critical with Diesel combos too, if you want them to last

- - - Updated - - -

What's the pro's and con's? Thinking about trying a system

Is this for a Racepak system ?, sorry I'm kind pretty much of out of date on most all that stuff now

- - - Updated - - -

decent read
http://www.foxvalleykart.com/print/prt_egt.html

- - - Updated - - -

also this article EGT Myths Debunked
Although it's about aircraft mostly it will tell a broader story, has useful information for graphs explanations etc.
nerve can know enough
http://www.gami.com/articles/egt_myths.pdf

I had a computech egt on my last bracket car. It was good as a tuning aid to get it in line quickly when going to alot of different tracks at different times of the year...altitude and non altitude differing atmospheric conditions. .. good notes and good plug reading are still important, but if I was traveling alot I would have one.

have you checked out the Racepak forum ?,
there are {were} some knowledgeable posters,
my ol'partner use to go there, hasn't for quite a while now thou...
not sure what his screen name was either, he liked to stay/remain anonymous

maybe someone there can give more insight...

IIRC most my egt's would range from an efficient combo @ 1450* F to as hi as 1650* F
cooler generally meant too much unburned fuel Fat, higher temps meant Lean/big power,
but can also be on the ragged edge too, it's fine line...

Alcohol/Methanol was a little different cooler {misting/wet out the pipes}
was sometimes better, for performance...
If that makes any sense...

http://www.racepak.com/forum/

- - - Updated - - -

we used a hand held heat inferred temp gun Pyrometer for a while,
that was the easiest point & click, but not good for down the track passes

From what I am reading, most guys say stay away from EGT and go to 8 O2's.
I had an opportunity to get a setup cheap, and try it out but now I'm hearing it's too slow to responding and it can show up with rich conditions if there's raw fuel in the exhaust.
O2's are better.

best way would be a sensor at each exhaust port. ideally this would let you jet for each cylinder. to my knowledge no intake manifold has perfect distribution to all cylinders. something in a collector will just tell you what 4 cylinders are doing together.

Auto Transport Service
Back