• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone using VP Fuels Stay Frosty coolant?

GTX JDC

Local time
1:44 PM
Reaction score
I am upgrading the radiator in my 67 GTX and I considering using an aftermarket coolant. Has anyone used or is currently using VP Fuel's Stay Frosty Racing formula or their High Performance formula? They claim the Racing formula can lower the cylinder head temperature by "up to 100 degrees" which I am skeptical about. The High Performance formula says "it will lower the operating temp. up to 25 degrees". The High Performance formula contains a percentage of antifreeze making it more suitable for street cars while the Racing formula is more for track use, so no antifreeze. This stuff isn't inexpensive so I curious what someone who has actually used it thinks about it. The engine builder recommended distilled water and Redline Water Wetter which I am currently using but it is not helping with the heating issue.

They claim the Racing formula can lower the cylinder head temperature by "up to 100 degrees" which I am skeptical about. The High Performance formula says "it will lower the operating temp. up to 25 degrees".
Those are some pretty outrageous numbers. Sounds like good marketing hype to me. I don't buy it.

I am upgrading the radiator in my 67 GTX and I considering using an aftermarket coolant. Has anyone used or is currently using VP Fuel's Stay Frosty Racing formula or their High Performance formula? They claim the Racing formula can lower the cylinder head temperature by "up to 100 degrees" which I am skeptical about. The High Performance formula says "it will lower the operating temp. up to 25 degrees". The High Performance formula contains a percentage of antifreeze making it more suitable for street cars while the Racing formula is more for track use, so no antifreeze. This stuff isn't inexpensive so I curious what someone who has actually used it thinks about it. The engine builder recommended distilled water and Redline Water Wetter which I am currently using but it is not helping with the heating issue.

P.T. Barnum had several applicable phrase about gullibility (fill in the blank)...... the high performance formula lowers temp by "up to" 25°....how much and by what method engine, conditions? The Racing Formula says it can lower cylinder head temperatures by 100° F. Measured where and how? What engine under what condition? All claims without any specific documentation....too many exaggerated numbers.....save your money.... Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

P.T. Barnum had several applicable phrase about gullibility (fill in the blank)...... the high performance formula lowers temp by "up to" 25°....how much and by what method engine, conditions? The Racing Formula says it can lower cylinder head temperatures by 100° F. Measured where and how? What engine under what condition? All claims without any specific documentation....too many exaggerated numbers.....save your money.... Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON
Do you have a recommendation on a brand of coolant to use? What do you think of just using distilled water and Redline Water Wetter? I see a lot of other companies make something similar to Water Wetter but I have never tried them. I agree with you about the Stay Frosty. Apparently no one on this site has used it which says something for the product I guess.

Personally, I use a 60% - 40% mix of Dexcool and tap water. Any "water wetter" product is just a ionic surfactant which just breaks down the surface tension of the water to allow it to better contact the heat transfer surfaces.
I believe that a glycol based coolant contains an anti rust, anti corrosion inhibitors that water does not have. Water does contain dissolved solids: magnesium carbonate and calcium carbonate which can contribute to solids build up in the radiator over time. There are others that swear by Evans coolant, which is propylene glycol and no water. But, know that anything, other than water, reduces the liquid's specific heat characteristics (ability to absorb and release heat). And, contrary to other's opinions, the coolant's circulating velocity and capacity, in gallons/minute (the faster the better), are the secret to good heat transfer characteristics. I use to design high temperature heat exchangers and did heat balance calculations. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Personally, I use a 60% - 40% mix of Dexcool and tap water. Any "water wetter" product is just a ionic surfactant which just breaks down the surface tension of the water to allow it to better contact the heat transfer surfaces.
I believe that a glycol based coolant contains an anti rust, anti corrosion inhibitors that water does not have. Water does contain dissolved solids: magnesium carbonate and calcium carbonate which can contribute to solids build up in the radiator over time. There are others that swear by Evans coolant, which is propylene glycol and no water. But, know that anything, other than water, reduces the liquid's specific heat characteristics (ability to absorb and release heat). And, contrary to other's opinions, the coolant's circulating velocity and capacity, in gallons/minute (the faster the better), are the secret to good heat transfer characteristics. I use to design high temperature heat exchangers and did heat balance calculations. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Would distilled water be a better choice than tap water? It doesn't have all the dissolved solids in it does it? Some of the products I have looked at are a combination of propylene glycol and water that has gone thru the reverse osmosis process. That sounded better than tap water and water wetter. Does propylene glycol have the same specific heat characteristics as the glycol in "regular" coolant or is it different? I've talked to the guys at Evans Coolant and am considering that product but I don't like the idea that it doesn't cool as well. I do like the other features it offers other than making sure all the water is removed before installing it. I think as long as I follow the procedure I can get enough water out to make it work. I really don't want to pull the plugs on the block. Thanks for all the help, I appreciate your opinion based on your knowledge of heat exchangers. Jeff

Would distilled water be a better choice than tap water? It doesn't have all the dissolved solids in it does it? Some of the products I have looked at are a combination of propylene glycol and water that has gone thru the reverse osmosis process. That sounded better than tap water and water wetter. Does propylene glycol have the same specific heat characteristics as the glycol in "regular" coolant or is it different? I've talked to the guys at Evans Coolant and am considering that product but I don't like the idea that it doesn't cool as well. I do like the other features it offers other than making sure all the water is removed before installing it. I think as long as I follow the procedure I can get enough water out to make it work. I really don't want to pull the plugs on the block. Thanks for all the help, I appreciate your opinion based on your knowledge of heat exchangers. Jeff

PROBABLY.....the distilling process would leave behind those dissolved solids. The reverse osmosis process yields DEIONIZED water free of all imputities.

The specific heat of Ethylene glycol is: Specific Heat - cp- 0.5815 BTU/lb-°F
The specific heat of Propylene Glycol Solution Specific Heat - cp - 0.850 BTU/lb °F

Propylene glycol has a slightly different specific heat characteristics: 0.850 vs 0.5815 for ethylene glycol.
Evans coolant requires ZERO water in the system and requires a procedure to insure no water is present. The only way to insure all water is removed IS TO DRAIN THE BLOCK AND HEATER.
For my application, Dexcool and water are just fine. Its your car, do what you feel is right for you....
BOB RENTON

No matter what is in the cooling system the radiator can only remove the amount of heat it is capable of.
Let's say the product does remove heat like they say it does. Guess what happens?
The thermostat closes!
If your cooling system isn't up to the task the solution is to increase radiator size, air flow, water flow or all the above.

Auto Transport Service
Back