• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

April Mopar Giveaway 2024-Phase III & III-A

don't misunderstand, we can take a little off the top if so desired

1714266565808.jpeg

when you were younger, and the fro was taller...... chopping the roof was the only way to fit?

The (1978 or 1979?) snowstorm had cleared out and the weather continued to be cold for a few days. The interstates had been cleared of snow and were bone dry, but the public were avoiding travel for some reason. Not me. I leave Norfolk under a bright moon and crystal clear skies to visit family in Richmond for the weekend. The snow is piled up unusually high near each shoulder of I-64 by the time I reach Williamsburg. Not a soul on the road except me. No one is ahead of me or behind me as far as the eye can see. I am a few miles past Williamsburg when I notice headlights far behind me, but they disappear from view as I go over the crest of a hill. I continue my steady pace and frequently check my rearview mirror. Uh oh, there he is again and he is much closer than earlier. He hasn't been wasting any time, that is for sure! He seems to be maintaining his distance now...he isn't getting any closer. This goes on for a few minutes and then it looks like he is splitting the two lanes of I-64. So, I do the same. Still no change in his position. This goes on for a few miles. He is still way behind me and I move back into the right lane. Hmmm, he moves back into the right lane and then violently swerves into the left lane. He holds steady for a moment and then violently swerves into the right lane and back into the left lane. Uh oh, here he comes and he's coming fast, really fast. I am now closely maintaining my 55/60 mph speed. Crap, now he is behind me and slowing down. Uh oh, he is in the left lane and closing in. Maybe he is going 70 mph now and then slows down as he rolls ahead of me by one car length for a bit and then drops back next to me. Nice, clean car he has there. I speed up a little bit and he does the same. I speed up again a bit and he does too. He nails the accelerator and I follow suit. Wow, what's under the hood of that thing? He jumps ahead and then maintains his lead at a steady speed (and "safe") distance...he knows I'm no match for his car, but then he does the unexpected. He swerves hard to the right and then hard left. He snaps back into the right lane/shoulder and the rear swings loose and then grabs. His car launches across both lanes and the last thing I see are his taillights disappearing into the left snow bank. Crap!!! I am braking at maximum effort (manual drums). I don't believe my eyes at what happens next. He comes flying (literally) out of the snow bank and hits the middle of the road at an angle, but with a lot of forward (down the road) speed/momentum! I am still on the brakes and run over all of the snow he plowed into the road. A bit of a jolt! Miraculously, with a couple sharp corrections, he straightens out and keeps steady for only a moment before nailing the accelerator; and I push mine to the floor. He steadily pulls away from me like a rocketship. My speedometer is now indicating 120 mph and he is still pulling away! Wow, what's under the hood of that thing? That thing is rock steady too!
After a minute or two he's out of sight and I drop back to around 55 mph. I needed to slow down anyway because I was approaching a county that is known for a high level of "police presence". I get into that notorious county and traffic is spread across all lanes and I spot the taillights of the rocketship. I'm now thinking this is my chance to get a closer look since all of the overhead highway lights are turned on. So, I speed up over the posted limit for a few miles and catch up with the milling crowd of cars (left lane hogs are nothing new). The crowd of cars starts splitting up as people prepare to take I-95 S or I-64/I-95N. He sees an opening in the traffic and is gone in a flash. I split off for I-95S and go see my family. A surprise visit.

So, the question is:

What was the make and model of this rocket ship? Don't bother guessing the model year of the car.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Last edited:
I'll check back in the morning. I need my beauty sleep.

Auto Transport Service
Back