• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are 66 Charger leaf springs same as 68-70?

XP29

Local time
12:46 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys, I need to fix/replace my rear leaf springs. Can anyone tell me if the springs on a 66/67 Charger(or Coronet I guess) are the same as the 68-70 Charger? If I have my original springs re tempered I will need a new clip and inter liners set. I've looked at a few parts sites but they always state the rebuild kits are 68-74 such as this from Classic industries

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/b-body-charger/parts/mn7007.html

my springs are the two clips on each spring style, will this work for my spring or are they really different to the 68 and onwards?

- - - Updated - - -

Another option is if I replace the whole spring. My concern is after buying and paying a lot in shipping to over here is the quality of the steel used as I keep seeing mixed reviews. I want a standard ride height or maybe a 1" lift if anything as mines sitting a bit low (presuming tired springs) I just saw this company and this spring. Anyone got any experience of this place?

http://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/78-553.htm

If all you need is an increase in ride height, re-arching by an experienced spring person will work fine. I did this many times year ago with a top notch vendor. If you want new springs, as far as I can tell from my factory service manuals, the '66 and the '68 - '70 springs are the same. 22" front segment, 36" rear segment. The ESPO replacement springs are what I have on my '66 Satellite. I am replacing the ESPO's with Mopar SS springs for drag racing. ESPO would be another good source, mine work very well.

Thanks for the reply and tip on where to look. I'm torn between re arching mine or replacing. Here's pics of mine, they look like they are bending down as the main leaf passes over leaf two. Are these saveable? Or beyond help?

ff77ccf0a21850ccad094f82bb901f18.jpg

786299ac79cbdf3402928720c820032b.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Just sent an info/price request to Epso, so you rate the quality of them?

Those springs look dangerous. My son's car had the springs snap in half. Remember, they are 50 years old. I have ESPO springs on my car. They are excellent. I also had excellent customer service.

The 66-67 is the same as 68/70. I would not re-arch, though. My experience is they raise the car, but easily sag with any weight put on them, as the spring rate was weak. They are also very old, I would buy new.

My 66 Satellite also sat too low even with helper springs that were on the car when I bought it. Being from the jacked up generation, I wanted the car higher so I ordered a new set of Mopar replacement springs from Summit Racing (about $100 ea.). To my dismay, the car sat as low with the new springs as it did with the old ones. I took apart the new springs and added one good leaf from each of the old ones to the new ones. It helped a little. I put on air shocks and it helped but it takes all their range to get the height I was looking for. There is quite a distance from the crossmember mounting point to the mounting point on the lower shock plate. It pretty much maxes out the shock. I just had the springs re-arched but they are not back on the car yet so I have yet to see if it made much difference. I now have 7 leafs on the drivers side and 8 on the passenger side. It may ride like a truck but for the amount of time that I will actually drive it, I don't care. I always keep in mind that these cars were designed to ride low and I am altering that. Good luck.

Thanks guys, I'm getting a quote from Espo, I'm thinking the heavy duty (6leaf) with 1" lift. I want the car to have a slight nose down look, plus I'm presuming they will settle down after a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

That said, I don't want it to look like a 70's bad custom!

- - - Updated - - -

This is a recent side on view of it, not real clear where the wheels are as pic is a bit dark. Considering the sag of my spring I'm thinking new spring with 1" lift will look good after settling. It does have 205/70/14 tyres at the moment, I want to go 15" wheels when I can afford (Magnums/Cragers or similar)

71dc522b25cdc93e0c1b5b127ab32d8e.jpg

Your main leaf looks very bad. Replace the springs. Get replacement Mopar XHD or maybe the ESPO's like I have. My ESPO's sit low at what I think is stock height. They're for sale, but shipping would be expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 207
Are yours the stock height Epso springs? Have they settled down at all since fitting? I'm thinking of getting the 1" lift (6 leaf) ones that they sell.

That looks great!

ive just ordered HD springs with 1" lift (thinking they will sag a little when settled in), new U bolts and front eye bolts. I already have a read shackle coming over so fingers crossed I'll be all set. After it gets here and the U.K. Gov clear me out with taxes!

Hemi354 which Mopar springs are those? Are those the XHD or one of the SS springs? I'm curious about the ride height you got with them.

I don't know which ones, other than to say they are the Mopar Performance Spring # 4452982 and #4452983. It says it's Heady Duty, Original Equipment. Here is the link for one of them.

http://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=4452982

- - - Updated - - -

They're just like the production springs used on 1967-71 B-bodies with 440 c.i.d. or 426 c.i.d. equipped with a manual transmissions. However, I have a 66 body with a TF727.

This might be a dumb question, but looking at the service manual it says for removing the front end of the spring to unbolt the hanger from the body, then take the hanger off the spring. Can I not just unbolt the spring from the hanger, leaving it attached to the body?

I supported the axle housing on each side and the pinion and then dropped the springs. Un bolt the front then the rear shackle.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know which ones, other than to say they are the Mopar Performance Spring # 4452982 and #4452983. It says it's Heady Duty, Original Equipment. Here is the link for one of them.

http://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=4452982

- - - Updated - - -

They're just like the production springs used on 1967-71 B-bodies with 440 c.i.d. or 426 c.i.d. equipped with a manual transmissions. However, I have a 66 body with a TF727.

Thanks, just curious about what ride height we get from what spring.

Where do you want the measure made....from the ground to the bottom of the axle? ...from the ground to the top of the spring?

Thanks guys.

Auto Transport Service
Back