• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are all ECUs created equal?

Was looking for when we were not taking them apart but showing real Mopar ones and junk. Think it was right after that.

From Cbodies forum.

The blue or gray or black box is stock. The orange box is aftermarket mopar and supposedly has a bit more dwell than the stock. The Chrome is also a street strip box with supposedly even more dwell time for a hotter spark and better combustion. Gold box is race only supposedly and I imagine has even more dwell time.

From what I have read you should avoid the orange box. they tend to have a high rate of failure.
Less dwell time.....

I have an old Blue box P3690256 5 pin, correct ballast resistor combination, instructions. This early Blue box runs well past 7000 RPM. Ran it for 1 season before going to the MSD 404BC. The Blue box was my spare on the car for many years I used it a few runs a year to verify it's function. Also have a Mag DC distributor from '77 or so. Have a MSD 404 BC box with very little use. I'll post an ad for the parts I have.

Nacho-RT74,
I did say...."possibly needing a 5 pin ECU". I was speaking along the lines of "plug in and go" type scenario (without modifications, etc.). However, thanks for the modification details.

Last edited:
Perhaps? To my understanding, the 4 pin ECU obtains it's power from within itself, thus only needing a 2 spade ballast resistor. This is the later design in electronic ignitions. The 5 pin ECU receives it's power returning from a 4 spade ballast resistor. With that said, check your Evans harness for the two ballast terminals. If EACH terminal has two female connections, the harness is wired for a 4 spade ballast resistor, thus possibly needing a 5 pin ECU.
I’ll check the new harness. Oddly enough, my car has two ballast resistors and points ignition...I was a bit perplexed.
6C584F8F-F4D5-4197-A6F5-94E5FFFF522F.jpeg

Will it matter what coil I use? I have a MSD Blaster 2 for the car.
Depends on your intentions for the car. If just a driver and fun once in awhile, I would stay with an OEM/OEM-Spec. coil. Review the info. on post #4 (page 1) and post #8 (page 1) for general direction if you're wanting something more.

I’m not doing anything crazy, has aluminum intake, headers..possibly cam, electronic ignition...I got the Blaster 2 and Streetfire plug wires as well.

The 256 box is excellent. It easily runs well past 7000 RPM with the right coil. Mopar said it's not intended for driving more than 30 minutes.

In defense of the orange box that lots of people claim has a high rate of failure, I can say I have never had one fail because of workmanship in over twenty years on two different cars and a pickup truck. IMO, the failures are more than likely caused by a bad case ground. I learned that lesson back in 1989 when my 65 Sport Fury with a fresh resto and a new orange box conversion would shut down after a 10 or 15 minute drive. After cooling down, it would start and run until the transistor got overheated again. My research showed a 20 ohm resistance between the orange box and neg post on the battery. I corrected that resistance to .01 reading and that same orange box is still doing its job after a half dozen shutdowns because of the excess current flow.

In defense of the orange box that lots of people claim has a high rate of failure, I can say I have never had one fail because of workmanship in over twenty years on two different cars and a pickup truck. IMO, the failures are more than likely caused by a bad case ground. I learned that lesson back in 1989 when my 65 Sport Fury with a fresh resto and a new orange box conversion would shut down after a 10 or 15 minute drive. After cooling down, it would start and run until the transistor got overheated again. My research showed a 20 ohm resistance between the orange box and neg post on the battery. I corrected that resistance to .01 reading and that same orange box is still doing its job after a half dozen shutdowns because of the excess current flow.
Clean off the paint, install a star washer or a external ground wire. (or all the above)

Auto Transport Service
Back