• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are you a tree hugger?

69a100

Local time
5:26 AM
Reaction score
I am not one, but I love Miss Marla, my huge beautiful Maple!! The stories she could tell of her damage, I'd really hate to lose this tree, the pics don't do her justice as to her size!!!
Let's see your trophy trees!
P1010760.JPG

Her battle scars of life, I'm guessin lighting did all this? 2 branches here.
P1010762.JPG

Different angle of previous pic.
P1010763.JPG

P1010764.JPG

P1010765.JPG

I heard the screaming down in Florida when you hammered those spikes into her sides. She attracted the lightning just to relieve the pain.

It looks like a soft maple. She's had a long life. It sllos like she is out in the middle of the yard so that if a big wind pushes her over she won't end up in someone's bedroom. You can trim off the dead but it won.t save her. With all the rot she has watch out for carpenter ants. The neighbor's 100 year old American White Oak was full of them. It had a hole below the crotch big enough that I could have crawled into. She's gone now.

I’ve had **** luck with planting trees in my yard. Lost five of them and one was my favorite, a pear tree that grew large having a perfect shape until a mini-tornado ripped through the yard taking off one huge branch and also snapped another tree in half; but that one had been damaged by deer already shaving off some of the bark. Couple years later a storm knocked the pear tree down. Wife wanted to plant more trees and said nope I’m done.

I too, agree with the toolmanmike... your maple tree will split in too,
right at the big V-crotch (you can see it in your last pic) in a big wind
storm or some other weather situation. I'm no tree arborist... but maple,
wild cherry trees take a beating in the strong winds or storms, and they
start twisting and turning causing them to slowly split at their weakest
points, then sections of the said tree will normally fail eventually. I have
had to have some removed from around my buildings because of this same thing, but I am doing my part to keep the air/earth halfway worthy,
as my order is in at the county conservation district this friday. Picking
up some red oak trees, and some white pine trees too.. which the white pine is the State of Michigan state tree...

I like mine cut into 16-inch lengths and neatly stacked or sawn into lumber for building furniture! ruffcut

Just planted this mature (~9 year old) valley oak out next to our young fruit orchard. We have nearly 50 different fruit trees out there, and I'm looking forward to having picnics under this oak tree with my kids in the coming decade =)

Sorry to see the damage to your maple!
PXL_20220425_002424303.jpg

We have tons of trees here in North Florida. When Hurricane Micheal came through ( worst one here in 25 years ) I had over 40 trees uprooted or torn in two halfway up. Just getting the last of them cleaned up around my garden last year and the open canopies are almost filled in by the surrounding trees. Our county has an adopt-a-tree program where they will come and plant 1 tree a year for free and I have been participating now for 28 years.
This was 5/2020
IMG_2124.JPG

This was 2 weeks ago
IMG_3292.JPG

So, let me get this straight, You have a tree, Marla Maples????
H7ZEA3AGPEI6NAWX4OPRGGLD3A.jpg

Beautifull!
H7ZEA3AGPEI6NAWX4OPRGGLD3A.jpg

It looks like a soft maple. She's had a long life.

I wouldn't know the difference between a soft, red, sugar, and whatever other maples there are?

I too, agree with the toolmanmike... your maple tree will split in too,
right at the big V-crotch (you can see it in your last pic) in a big wind
storm or some other weather situation.

That may look like a split, but it's not. Shadows make it look like it's split. That area is as solid as any hardwood! All my other trees seem to drop more wood during a strom than this one. It almost is a daily chore around here, go out and pick up sticks, at least it keeps me off the street and outta trouble!

Oh yeah. I don't even mind raking up after it. Ha, ha the other one is handy for the cub to go up when Momma says.

maple.jpg momma bear.JPG

My parents had a 65ft oak tree in their front yard, the state needed to widen the road in front of the house. The oak had to go, a local furniture builder found out and came and made a $15000 offer for the tree. He removed and it turns out that particular breed of oak is known for its birds eye grain.

Auto Transport Service
Back