• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Armrest baseplate refinishing

gkirksey

Local time
2:57 PM
Reaction score
What's the best way to refinish these armrest baseplates (70 Charger) back to the chrome look? They are in fine condition other than the finish.
IMG_0735.jpeg

There are chrome type paints but most of them don't really look like chrome. Chrome vinyl wrap? Spraying with graphite and electro plating with bright nickel? Probably easier and cheaper to just buy reproductions.

Did a pair with sticky backed chrome wrap. Did the half that would face the bottom then top down. Did it 2 pieces try seam where it's least visible. Might be tough to remove never really tried. It like covering model airplane wings.

Many hobby shops sell a plastic chrome spray paint , hobby lobby ect. Mabey look on their web sight.
If I recall (Testers) the brand of model car paints used to sell a chrome look paint that would or should stand up for interior use.

Yeah, the repo's are vacuum plated in large quantities and don't cost that much.
Trying to have originals means more work because they have to be stripped and
re-plated. Not worth it.

Last time I priced the repro's they were $69.

Pro rechrome for less than that would be a killer deal.

Vacuum Ornametal out of Romulus Michigan restores them to original type chrome finish.

Address: 11380 Harrison St, Romulus, MI 48174
Hours: Open ⋅ Closes 4 PM
Phone: (734) 941-9100

THANKS 70gtx, that's about 15 min. from my house. I hope they don't charge extra 'cause it's a Mopar------LOL.
I call it the "Mopar Tax" :)

vacuum Ornamental if you are doing a full restoration. It will be more expensive than repop pieces. I think I was quoted almost $100 per baseplate. I ended up getting the set of repops.

Auto Transport Service
Back