• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

As Teslas age

I'm not sure who the 'Anointed One' is, but the Volt was a pet project of Bob Lutz, the same guy who gave us the Viper.

As for moving money around, Chrysler could have done the same thing. They chose to remain less profitable instead of building electric cars.

Every car company gets subsidies and loans, Tesla less than most of the rest. And they've paid back what they owe, ahead of schedule. Tesla had over 100 subsidies with a total subsidy value of $2,441,582,590. Meanwhile...as of last summer (2020) and taxpayers money:

• Ford borrowed $5.937 billion under the ATVM Loan Program. Ford still hasn’t paid that back.
    • As of today, Ford has had a total of at least $33,489,841,570 ($33.49 billion) in subsidies awarded.
  • Nissan borrowed $1.448 billion under the ATVM Loan Program and still hasn’t paid us back.
    • Nissan’s total subsidy value is $1,955,199,450 ($1.96 billion).
  • Fisker Automotive borrowed $529 million under the ATVM Loan Program and went bankrupt. We won’t get that money back.
  • GM and Chrysler both went into bankruptcy and had to be rescued under a separate program.
    • GM’s total subsidy value is $50,346,920,000 ($50.35 billion).
    • Fiat-Chrysler’s total subsidy value is $17,599,200,000 ($17.6 billion).
And that's just the automotive sector. I'm not sure if it's calculable (Not sure if that's an actual word?) How much the fossil fuel industry has taken? And/or exempt from taxation on net profits? Besides. We don't go for all that fancy spacy fact stuff. If it makes me feel sad? It's FAKE NEWS.

It's funny the ney crowd brings up Henry Ford? Back in the day? The "Ney" crowd was screaming. "I ain't buying no horseless carriage!" "My Billy can out pull, run and outlast any of them devil Auto Mobiles!"

P.S. Horses were not outlawed. In fact? Its still a viable market. It's true with all economic revolutions. And I believe the United States is entering the next major revolution (#5) The "Energy" revolution.

#1. Agricultural.
#2. Industrial.
#3. Transportation.
#4. Information.
#5. Energy.

The next revolution doesn't kill it's predecessor. It enhances.

JMO.

First....with no engine oil or transmission oil, of COURSE it will be clean. No surprise there.
Secondly....Musk is successful at what cost? Did WPC take federal money? Did Ford or GM get subsidies? Did their buyers get tax credits for buying the cars?
No.
Musk has skills but the biggest one is that he has conned the Feds into paying for and supporting HIS dream.
Well, there is oil or some sort of fluid in the gear reduction box, and the motor itself is filled with glycol coolant (the blue stuff) which does multiple duties of heating or cooling the batteries, cooling the motor and gear box and charging system. So if it's clean, it means it isn't leaking.

However, these next revolutions rely on 18th and 19th century technology; windmills for energy and government choo choo trains for transportation.

Windmills are very expensive to build & maintain and an unreliable source of energy.
Railroad lines are even more expensive and would require large amounts of land to be taken by eminent domain.

I'm not saying that a new energy revolution isn't coming; it's just not coming from current sources being pushed today. If you really want clean energy right now, nuclear is the way to go.

This President recently spoke of high speed trains going cross country as fast as an airliner. A train that will go 500+mph? Yeah, when monkeys fly out my butt.

Advocates of high-speed rail have been overpromising and underdelivering for decades
https://reason.com/2021/04/08/joe-biden-says-trains-will-soon-be-as-fast-as-planes-thats-ridiculous/
I agree that the future is not easily predicted. Rail was supposed to be far more prevalent. But fell short to changing economic conditions and trends. (Smaller, faster retail. Thus trucking industry got big.) Nuclear power by today's designs is far safer than in the past. With some real recycling technology of spent fuel. The problem? Nuclear is more expensive than even solar. The highest cost per watt.

I still believe that battery technologies will increase and transportation will migrate to electric as dominant transportation work source. How the batteries are made/charged/maintenanced/Life cycle/recycled? We will have to see.

Last edited:
I personally feel that battery technology is like the curly fluorescent light bulbs from 20 years ago. Eventually, something better came along from private industry in the form of LED lights to replace those crappy things that 'were' forced upon us.

I agree that the future is not easily predicted. Rail was supposed to be far more prevalent. But fell short to changing economic conditions and trends. (Smaller, faster retail. Thus trucking industry got big.) Nuclear power by today's designs is far safer than in the past. With some real recycling technology of spent fuel. The problem? Nuclear is more expensive than even solar. The highest cost per watt.

I still believe that battery technologies will increase and transportation will migrate to electric as dominant transportation work source. How the batteries are made/charged/maintenanced/Life cycle/recycled? We will have to see.
Fuel cells and offshore wind generation are expensive too. I'm waiting for fusion power to become viable for electricity generation.

Fuel cells and offshore wind generation are expensive too. I'm waiting for fusion power to become viable for electricity generation.
That does appear to be "The holy grail" as an energy source. But what I've read? Still (At a minimum) 50 years out. And certainly not without its own risks. Again, I believe science and engineering can solve most of man's biggest concerns. But in some cases? Can it in time?

I don't know about you Guys, but the first time I saw one of Spacex rockets launch,
and then the first stage came back down and landed on a flat barge in the Atlantic
ocean, It brought tears to my eyes! The Russians can't even put a head on a bolt
concentric with the shank, and the Chinese **** blows up and kills people in nearby
towns for Christ's sake. Elon is my Hero. All the other stuff that comes with him
is all "Gravy". I'm glad he's here, and not there! I'm also glad we had Albert Einstein.
Dear lord......... I'll stick with a hemi for my transportation.

Where does one start?
Food?
Water?
Energy?
Health?

They're estimating the the world demand for animal protein products will double by 2036.

Water? Ask California and Texas.

Energy? That demand to double by 2030.

Health? If you believe Covid is the end of pandemic concerns? There are far more scary bugs out there.

Climate? It's not a matter of belief. It's happening. We lost 4 years on that front. I personally believe we are already past of point of no return. Meaning? Not only do we need to change the bulk of our industrial and residential need for energy via fossil fuels? But incorporate mediation efforts. Atmospheric scrubbing? Solar deflection? I don't know. I'm betting smarter minds than mine are on this?

This is just to name a few? My fear? 30%+ can't even wear a mask in an attempt to curb the spread of fast spreading virus? A mediation that has been used in pandemic times for hundreds of years. Because I guess it makes some feeling sad. Like the rest of us like it?
Keep it coming. So glad I don’t live in fear like the other side.

Answer is really simple but it won't make anyone big money. Just sterilize people after they have their second child (all across the world). There I said it.

Answer is really simple but it won't make anyone big money. Just sterilize people after they have their second child (all across the world). There I said it.
That is "A" solution. Lol.

Taking things political in the General Forum never ends well......

Auto Transport Service
Back