• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

At what point is a driveshaft loop required?

Two loops is a good plan, the front to keep from "pole vaulting", rear to contain things if the rear U joint fails.

Man this is another thing I wish I thought before I painted the underside of the Charger last year. I would have welded four nut plates to the floor (one for the front, one for the rear) then bolted two $25 Summit Racing loops to the nut plates for an easy to remove and clean install.

the way I did my slant six dual exhaust , the pipes cross over and would catch the drive shaft if ever failed its new
and it s automatic . so low chance of anything busting

I got one for my car for safety and because NHRA rules require it. We had a truck at work, older gmc dually with a dump bed, that a co worker was driving and went across a train track where it popped out and tore up the whole rear of the truck (gas tank looked like someone took a can opener to it.) Gas was pouring out and electrical lines were torn. The rescue squad said they were lucky it didn't go up in flames.

At what point is a driveshaft loop required?
About a second or two before something breaks. :)

I watched a Camaro launch into the air and did a somersault aloft and ended up landing on the wheels - the front wheels that is - after the front u-joint broke and the driveshaft caught the track and dug in - it had the complete rear end with springs on top of the shaft that wasn't sticking in the track surface. Luckily the guy walked away from it.

I've been lucky down through the years, racing on the street and doing a fair amount of burn-outs and have had no problems - not something you see on the streets as a general rule - but it's cheap insurance against the injuries and potential $1000s of dollars in damage a broken u-joint could do. Even that $179 one from Mancini is a lot cheaper than the alternative if it should happen, don't you think?

I use to cringe thinking about if the shaft or ring gear let go on these.
b96dde6324e976434c088e500800b397.jpg

hrdp-9810-01-o-southern-california-top-fuel-movement-the-surfers-top-fuel-dragster.jpg

794e072fd338b9f63fab3fea1e494360--corsa-flats.jpg

I would think a drive shaft loop is a "no brainer" especially since it is your butt sitting in the seat. Kinda like wearing a $29.95 Grant helmet that was available some years ago.

I would think a drive shaft loop is a "no brainer" especially since it is your butt sitting in the seat. Kinda like wearing a $29.95 Grant helmet that was available some years ago.

I even have a driveshaft loop on my red Charger even though it is just a street cruisier with the occasional few passes down the track just in case.

I also have a driveshaft loop in my '65 Dodge Coronet and it sits waiting for the engine from the GTX, this off season. I made them out of T6 aluminum with help from a friend.

I watched a Camaro launch into the air and did a somersault aloft and ended up landing on the wheels - the front wheels that is - after the front u-joint broke and the driveshaft caught the track and dug in - it had the complete rear end with springs on top of the shaft that wasn't sticking in the track surface. Luckily the guy walked away from it.

I've been lucky down through the years, racing on the street and doing a fair amount of burn-outs and have had no problems - not something you see on the streets as a general rule - but it's cheap insurance against the injuries and potential $1000s of dollars in damage a broken u-joint could do. Even that $179 one from Mancini is a lot cheaper than the alternative if it should happen, don't you think?

I've seen that too. At Byron Il.

Don't give a second thought. Buy one or make one. I made one of my own. A little Oxy/Accel and something round. No problem. Or spend a few bucks and get one one line.

They’re required as soon as you know they exist. Do yourself a favor if you have a muscle car of any kind install one......

Auto Transport Service
Back