• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

At what point is a high flow power valve required?

Paul_G

Local time
11:35 PM
Reaction score
I have been getting this new to me carb dialed in on my 505 stroker. Bought the carb used and rebuilt it. The carb is a Holley based custom built 950 by Pro Systems. It had 76 jets in the primary with 7.5 PV, 90 jets in the secondary with a PV plug. MY AFR's were showing mid 14's at half pedal/low vacuum when the primary's should be at full flow. I drilled out the PVCR to the next larger drill size, went with an 8.5 PV to get the fuel a little sooner as well. I should have measured the drill bit but I didnt. I want the additional fuel coming from the PV, because cruise and light pedal AFR's are around mid 13's. Bigger PVCR helped a little but still lean. I went to 80 jets in the primary. My half pedal AFR's are now low 13's. acceptable for now. WOT AFR's are low 12's. nice and safe.

The engine; 505ci Trick Flow headed, roller valve train, Comp roller cam 234/240@50 .542/.539 lift with 112 LSA. Stock 4 speed, 3.23 gears, 255/60-15 tires, 26" tall

Depends on the size of the PVCR. I think it’s safe to say once you get in the >.060 range you should be running a high flow power valve although .070 seems to be the hard number I’ve seen. Sounds like you’re pretty decent on the tune up. How’s the low speed cruise?

Low speed cruise bucks a little bit. Running in the high 14's afr. They have drilled plugs in the Transition slot feed hole in the primary metering block, might need to open those a touch.

Yep, you bump those a drill size she’ll come right around.

Auto Transport Service
Back