• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auto floor shifter removal?

Burning Cash

Local time
2:07 PM
Reaction score
Need to pull the factory floor shift and console to do carpet but I cant see how the shift knob/ button is removed from the lever. Loosened up the set screw thinking that would do it but no. Any help would be appreciated.
(This is on a 69 RR)

Need to pull the factory floor shift and console to do carpet but I cant see how the shift knob/ button is removed from the lever. Loosened up the set screw thinking that would do it but no. Any help would be appreciated.
(This is on a 69 RR)
Did you remove the set screw? I know kinda of a dumb question.

I had to do this to my 69 GTX after help it is fairly easy. I assume you have the wood grain knob style if so mine is but all you have to do is loosen the set screw make sure it is backed out far enough to clear the flat on the lever then while pulling up on the knob you can use it to turn the black button and unscrew it off the lever. The knob and the button are keyed together so the knob can be used to turn the button after you got it unscrewed part way you can lower the knob and you should be able to finish unscrewing the button just remember there is a spring between the button and the knob.

Sometimes the knob gets seized to the cable where it screws on.

I had to do this to my 69 GTX after help it is fairly easy. I assume you have the wood grain knob style if so mine is but all you have to do is loosen the set screw make sure it is backed out far enough to clear the flat on the lever then while pulling up on the knob you can use it to turn the black button and unscrew it off the lever. The knob and the button are keyed together so the knob can be used to turn the button after you got it unscrewed part way you can lower the knob and you should be able to finish unscrewing the button just remember there is a spring between the button and the knob.
Perfect, that is exactly what I needed to know.

Thank you.

Sometimes the knob gets seized to the cable where it screws on.
That happened to a shifter of mine, I'm glad i didn't have a 0.25 stick of C4, that would have solved the problem with a few others too :)

Auto Transport Service
Back