• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auto trans adjustment

jeff broy

Local time
7:48 PM
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to adjust the kick down linkage for a 727? thanks!

Depends on the year, Jeff. Some had adjustable (threaded) rods for the kick-down, some didn't. The adjustment process is a little different for each, but basically similar in outcome. Try Allpar.com or even just Google it, there's lots of instructions out there. Good luck with it, I've been trying to get mine perfect for....uh, a while.

Hope others chime in on this as well, trying to get mine straightened out as well, I think it's just going to take trial and error on getting it in the right place. Mine will only kick down up to about 35-40 mph, after that, I just manually pull it into second if needed.

if you make the rod longer(screw type adjustable)it will down shift sooner.make sure the rod has an independent spring from the carb return.also determines shift points,so it will take some trial and error to get it the way you like it.

The basic idea is to adjust it so at wide open throttle, the kickdown lever is maxed out as well. Make sure to adjust it so the kickdown doesnt max out before the throttle linkage, because this will effectively stop the carb from opening all the way.

As mentioned, it's pretty much a trail and error thing. If you don't know what's been done to the tranny, it's a crap shoot. The book says, with the throttle held full open, adjust the rod so that it easily slips over the shaft with no slop. It funny, as with both my 383 and /6 adjustments can vary greatly as to how thing behave. 1/2 turn on the adjuster can make a big difference with shift points and how hard it shifts, s well as downshift. Adjust & drive, adjust & drive, Adjust & drive till you find something your happy with. FYI, you'll get to a point that if you over adjust to much you'll over stress your tranny and wear it out quicker. You'll know as it will shift like stink.

Auto Transport Service
Back