• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Bumper Lateral Adjustment?

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:46 PM
Reaction score
Working with old beat up cars is fun! So are 50 year old collision fixes. I’ve made modifications to my front bumper bracket to give me more adjustment range in and that worked fine. However I need to laterally adjust the bumper to the left (driver side) (see picture for reference) about an inch.

I can’t see a way to do this. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks MF

IMG_1238.jpeg

Take front bolt out where it bolts to the frame, loosen back frame bolt and let bumper assembly drop down, protect bumper from touching concrete so you don't scratch it. Loosen bumper bolts and see if you have enough adjustment left to right. Then carefully lift assembly and keep checking fit until your satisfied. That's how I adjusted my 68 Road Runner.

Take front bolt out where it bolts to the frame, loosen back frame bolt and let bumper assembly drop down, protect bumper from touching concrete so you don't scratch it. Loosen bumper bolts and see if you have enough adjustment left to right. Then carefully lift assembly and keep checking fit until your satisfied. That's how I adjusted my 68 Road Runner.
Thanks for the reply. I am not following. The bumper to support brackets are holes not slots so I don’t see any adjustment possibilities in the later instruction. On the first part of your instructions ie dropping the brackets down does not provide any lateral movement. As I stated I enlarged the existing slots of the bracket to frame to provide increased forward and rearward adjustment which met my needs in and out need.
I still need to laterally move the bumper to the left about an inch.

Are you working with a factory bumper ?
Right now yes as I am test fitting it. BUT I have a new aftermarket unit that I plan to use when done. Why is there a difference?

Right now yes as I am test fitting it. BUT I have a new aftermarket unit that I plan to use when done. Why is there a difference?
Maybe. Maybe not. Why are you fighting with that bumper when you're using a different one eventually ?

You might be able to shim the brackets that mount to the frame rails but you won’t get an inch. Your brackets are bent and need to be bent back to shape. You could bolt them on without the bumper and encourage them with a sledge hammer or long pipe, something to get leverage. This should have been done before paint though, man! Now you’re risking scratches

Thanks for the reply. I am not following. The bumper to support brackets are holes not slots so I don’t see any adjustment possibilities in the later instruction. On the first part of your instructions ie dropping the brackets down does not provide any lateral movement. As I stated I enlarged the existing slots of the bracket to frame to provide increased forward and rearward adjustment which met my needs in and out need.
I still need to laterally move the bumper to the left about an inch.
Kind of hard to explain, but the support brackets are slotted where the bumper bolts to it, I don't know if you'll get an inch adjustment left and right, but should be able to at least improve it. You'll need to loosen all bumper bolts where they attach to the bumper. I was able to "bump" mine to the left quite a bit. Dropping bumper down, only gives access to bumper bolts that otherwise you can not get to without removing entire assembly. By leaving rear frame bolts intact, but loose you can keep checking adjustment left and right.

Kind of hard to explain, but the support brackets are slotted where the bumper bolts to it, I don't know if you'll get an inch adjustment left and right, but should be able to at least improve it. You'll need to loosen all bumper bolts where they attach to the bumper. I was able to "bump" mine to the left quite a bit. Dropping bumper down, only gives access to bumper bolts that otherwise you can not get to without removing entire assembly. By leaving rear frame bolts intact, but loose you can keep checking adjustment left and right.
Well I am not sure I would call those slots lol but I guess I can slot them more and get what I need then. It’s just a PITA doing that. Was hoping there was an easier way.

Kern Dog sounds correct...the bumper brackets are bent. If by any chance you find out the FRAME rails are bent (hope not), then making modifications to the brackets would make the most sense. First, I'd see if one/both brackets are visibly bent and bend them back if I could. Second, I'd modify the holes in the brackets and oval them out to see if I could get more movement to the driver's side. Third, I'd buy a new set of bumper brackets and try with those. Whoops! And before any of that....put on the bumper you plan to run first (as mentioned)

Thanks guys I missed KD’s post. Yeah the brackets are not the strong accident wise but bending the back is a pita as well. I think I’ll slot out the brackets as this will give me the best adjustability. I’ll use the new bumper as well just to make sure but Il have good adjustment range regardless. Love cutting slots in steel!

I use a air die grinder with a deburring bit on it. It turns faster than a drill and you have better leverage.

E33BCCC5-7539-4638-B940-1A6E223C33A0.jpeg

53C90E44-5E87-4C99-AB98-DBB493A9C2BE.jpeg

Last edited:
The funny part is all 4 sets of the bracket holes line up with the bumper holes. So at least I got that going for me. Lol looking on the bright side of life lol

Well I am not sure I would call those slots lol but I guess I can slot them more and get what I need then. It’s just a PITA doing that. Was hoping there was an easier way.
1709946822319.png

Borrowed picture, but definitely slotted somewhat LOL.

View attachment 1624239

Borrowed picture, but definitely slotted somewhat LOL.
Thanks I couldn’t see it with the bumper in. I did run out and loosened all the bumper bolts and got a little movement. But it was in the wrong direction and it wasn’t but a 1/2”. So I will slot them the other way and post my results.

Plasma cutters work great for this sort of hole work. I like to make a template with 3/4 wood to get the size I need.
Mike

Plasma cutters work great for this sort of hole work. I like to make a template with 3/4 wood to get the size I need.
Mike
I wish I had one but like KD said there are other ways to get it done. I don’t think plasma cutters are that expensive. Some cheep ones might be worth having.

get a couple of longer bolts....... shim the front bolt of one bracket, and the rear bolt of the other bracket; pointing both brackets in the direction you need to go

the bumper is 2 inches over and you need an inch?

or the bumper is one inch over, and you need a half?

get a couple of longer bolts....... shim the front bolt of one bracket, and the rear bolt of the other bracket; pointing both brackets in the direction you need to go

the bumper is 2 inches over and you need an inch?

or the bumper is one inch over, and you need a half?
I think what your suggesting is to skew the bracelet laterally by shimming the brackets front to back to make them point more left or right correct ?

I like how your thinking about this! Shims are way easier than slots!

But hang on Sam. There are 2 bumper mounting brackets. If you shim one then you have to shim both such that they move together in the same direction TOGETHER right? Or am I missing something?

Need about 1/2-3/4” movement.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back