• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Bumper Lateral Adjustment?

I think what your suggesting is to skew the bracelet laterally by shimming the brackets front to back to make them point more left or right correct ?

I like how your thinking about this! Shims are way easier than slots!

But hang on Sam. There are 2 bumper mounting brackets. If you shim one then you have to shim both such that they move together in the same direction TOGETHER right? Or am I missing something?

Need about 1/2-3/4” movement.

bumper hack.jpg

Well after fitting in my new aftermarket bumper the original problem is gone and a new one has arisen. BUT the same technique will be used to solve it. What was I thinking? A bumper made 54 years ago in the U.S. would be identical to one made today in Asia lol.

You might be able to shim the brackets that mount to the frame rails but you won’t get an inch. Your brackets are bent and need to be bent back to shape. You could bolt them on without the bumper and encourage them with a sledge hammer or long pipe, something to get leverage. This should have been done before paint though, man! Now you’re risking scratches

Yeah....we were along the same train of thought here:

Well the issue now is that the bumper does not clear the fenders. It’s centered fine but I need to stretch the ears (flare out) of the bumper about 1/8 to 1/4 (1/8 on both sides) for ample room. I am thinking about how I can rig up something to stretch it out and give me just a little more clearance to get the bumper in. I don’t need much but I don’t want to mess up the plating.

Any suggestions or ideas?

IMG_1242.jpeg

Last edited:
now you can egg the holes in the brackets where they attach to the frame rails, and move it forward....... a little of this, and a little of that

now you can egg the holes in the brackets where they attach to the frame rails, and move it forward....... a little of this, and a little of that
Yeah but it really needs to be in the way you see it to look right. Still wondering how to bend the ears out (opposing directions) just a little.

To spread the end of the bumper, you'll have to squeeze in the corner like so:

1710029070517.jpeg

That will compress the middle and squish the end out a bit.
It looks like the bumper was stamped wrong though, it doesn't follow the contour of the fender.

You could pull the corner of the fender in a bit with this strut brace:

1710029279385.jpeg

Look at the angle of the forward edge of the fender compared to the rear edge.

1710029799361.jpeg

This does indicate that some inward adjustment of the fender edge can help.

If the slots in the brace are not long enough, you can hog them out a bit...

1710030078912.jpeg

Last edited:
You could pull the corner of the fender in a bit with this strut brace:

View attachment 1624792

Look at the angle of the forward edge of the fender compared to the rear edge.

View attachment 1624814

This does indicate that some inward adjustment of the fender edge can help.
Thanks kD, I tried that on the other side but didn’t get much movement up where the fender is. Yeah it’s not a great design darn it.

Yeah but it really needs to be in the way you see it to look right. Still wondering how to bend the ears out (opposing directions) just a little.
Don't do that.

More pics..

IMG_1245.jpeg

IMG_1244.jpeg

IMG_1243.jpeg

Put what el dubb is telling you in play,
Pull it forward a little .
Also what Kern suggested about the fender support rod, bring the fender in a little , bumper brackets out a little like eldubb is telling you.
Do not tweak those corners on the new bumper please.

Must have been the angle in the first pictures, it looks better in the second pictures
Yeah it look decent in person. Just working to make it as good as I can so that later I don’t look at it and say if I just did something it would have been better.

Auto Transport Service
Back