• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auto Wash Bowl. Intresting

T2R9

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:40 AM
Reaction score
The concept originated in St. Paul, Minnesota. It was patented in 1921 by inventor CP Bohland, who opened two branches in St. Paul. He invented the bowl as an easy way to remove mud from the bottom of cars. During this time, roads were often unpaved and muddy and the mud would get stuck on the bottom and wheels. A spin in the Auto Wash Bowl removed the mud from the bottom of the car.

The 24-meter-wide, ribbed concrete bowl was approximately 16 inch at its deepest point.
Customers paid 25 cents to a clerk who tied a protective rubber cover over the radiator. The cars entered the bowl via a ramp and then drove in circles in the basin at a speed of approximately 10 mph per hour. The ridges in the concrete would vibrate the car and the water, creating a sloshing motion that helped wash all the mud off the chassis and wheels.

The process took about 5 minutes. After leaving the bowl, customers could opt for a complete wash. In one of the bays (similar to a wash box) the rest of the car was cleaned. On a busy Saturday, about 75 cars per hour went through the wash basin.

npo9ffj7xtzc1.jpeg

At 1st seems like a novel concept...

Driving around in muddy waters, to get grime & mud off
OK :poke:
just a few of my immediate thoughts, no offense intended

I hope the water, that it was changed regularly...

$0.25 cents, x 75 cars = $18.75 per hr
wasn't a huge amount, but good $$ for the times
that $0.25 cents was a blue collar workers 'an hr's wage' back then,
if you were lucky & had a good job

It'd shake the sh-t out them with the concrete rumble strips,
especially on antique buggy springs,
or on the rod style mechanical brakes

must have been a city dwellers thing

I actually wonder ?
how much harm/breakage/wear it actually did ?
as apposed to actual cleaning benefits ?
or rust ? from grime or salt or whatever they used off the roads
I assume (?) they could actually put a rust inhibitor in it,
but back then, they probably didn't...

Last edited:
Dirt roads, mud, and horse ****. I imagine the underside of them got caked up quickly. Dude saw an opportunity and made some money.

Then drive out of the bowl dripping wet and back onto the dirt road..

Auto Transport Service
Back