• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Automatic console shifter removal

440gtx1967

Local time
8:55 AM
Reaction score
I am trying to remove my 67 automatic shifter from the console, I understand the top pops off and there is suppose to be some set screws underneath the top. Unfortunately whatever I try to remove the top off the shifter handle is not working...any hints on what to do...Thanks

Set screw is in the knob, then the knob and button just spin off.

Yes I have tried that, and the knob just spins around, there is a spring like movement that just moves it back the other way..

Yes I have tried that, and the knob just spins around, there is a spring like movement that just moves it back the other way..
then the cable is binding in the center push button. I doubt you can twist the cable in half, I think the button will finally give up and allow you to unscrew it. The button may need to be replaced after however. Its only plastic threads.

My Dart had the cable stuck in the button. I twisted until something broke, and the cable is what gave.

Not a lot of options.

Pull it all off still assembled, turn it upside down and soak it in "atf”. It will come loose after some time.

Auto Transport Service
Back