• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Automatic to 4 speed?

LandonE

Local time
1:20 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone converted a 71-74 Roadrunner to a 4speed A833?
I was thinking of it depending on how hard it would be, or just stay with my auto.
Thanks guys.

Best way to go about it is to have a parts car handy....it's not hard but is quite a bit of work.

Just heard almost the same answer on the A-Body forum too. I was thinking maybe it's a better idea to just save and do another car too thats 4-speed.

I did it on my 73 at the same time I switched from a small block to a big block. It's not really all that hard. Pretty much all the parts are available. I made a few errors because I didn't know where to look or didn't ask the right questions and because I didn't listen to my inner voice. The biggest nerve killer is how much of the trans tunnel you got to cut for the stock shift linkage. If you want the stock console pistol grip shifter, be prepared to see your wallet hemoraging on the floor. If I was to do it all over again, knowing what I know now and considering the cost of the "deals" my friends gave me, I would seriously look into a 5 speed conversion. Check out Hurst Driveline Conversions for a Tremec based kit, or Passon has a killer 5 speed that looks to be a bolt in and is based on the A833.

I am in the process of doing it...I have to agree with Rev, if I had it to do over again, I'd buy a 5 speed conversion kit. Once you piece it all together and get "deals" from friends, it works out to not save you enough to be worth it.

Yeah, that Passon 5 speed is cool...it's supposed to be a direct bolt in, same or close to same size specs as an original A833...not sure if he's selling them yet.

I'm getting ready to convert mine.. i been saving and collecting for some time now.

I have a 71 sebring plus 318 auto switching to 440 4 speed.. one of the members set me up with this site

it has everything ..even the special pilot bearing for when the crank aint drilled or if you input shaft

has been cut off

http://www.brewersperformance.com/topcategories.asp

You have to want it bad as it will cost you more than it adds to the value of the car.

Its not to hard I have done it a few times.Brewers Performance has everything you need....

that brewer's has everything for around $3700, check em out online....

Anybody heard the price on the Passon 855 yet? Think on another board they were saying about $4500.00 for the transmission and shifter?

Auto Transport Service
Back