• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'71 Charger RT or 500 tail lights on '73 Charger

Charger Fan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:40 AM
Reaction score
Wanted to know if anyone has put the '71 Charger RT louvered tailight lens and bezels on a '73 or '74 Charger without changing the housing to a '71 version. I've seen the '71 RT lenses and bezels advertised as working on a '73 or '74 housing but I don't believe it because the housing bulb placement is different on the '71 vs. '73. Comments?

I fabricated my own taillight housings for the ones in my 73 Charger. I used the lenses to template the housings. I used longer screws to through bolt then together through the bezels sandwiching the lenses between the bezels and the fabricated housings.

20221229_141310.jpg

Yes.

Can also go the other way.

My 72 has 73/74 lights and the bumper is close in 71/72 style.

It will take some creativity to use the 73 housings for the R/T bezels and lenses. The biggest issue I see is 73's surround is part of the housing and would need to be removed.

Oh, the housing/back with light sockets.

I looked at that a long time ago, but found some housings.

Still using imagination and tooling to make it posible, the bulbs locations is totally diff between 71, 72 and 73/74. On earliers 71s get the reflection lense area inner, close to the back up light and 72s outer, while on lates is between both red tail light bulbs. So the bulbs location won’t match with lenses.

Another difference is the 71/72s tail light are a bit wider than 73/74. Not the full assemly width ( including the filler area getting on back of the license plate ), but the lights area in between the license plate itself. In fact this is the reason why the bottom license plate bracket is a bit shorter on earliers and wider on laters.

Last edited:
Yep, that's what I thought. You need the housings to go with the lens & bezels.

Auto Transport Service
Back