• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVS Metering Rods/Springs

Omni Source

Local time
12:05 PM
Reaction score
Good Day All

Anyone have a source for metering rods/springs for a 6125S AVS Carter?
Thanks to all who respond.

Omni

I have a old Carter strip kit with rods jets and springs. What sizes you looking for?

Would the current Edelbrock AVS Thunder kits not be applicable?

original 3 step rods and mopar jets are no longer made. there is a way to use edelbrock parts.

Would the current Edelbrock AVS Thunder kits not be applicable?
No! The current Edelbrock AFB & Thunder AVS model carbs use the shorter AFB style rods and Kettering jets.
To use Edelbrock rods in an OE AVS you need to also use a flat top rod & spring cover, not the OE taller type that looks like a hat.
The OE AVS springs are 3 step and longer then OE AFB or Edelbrock rods.

No! The current Edelbrock AFB & Thunder AVS model carbs use the shorter AFB style rods and Kettering jets.
To use Edelbrock rods in an OE AVS you need to also use a flat top rod & spring cover, not the OE taller type that looks like a hat.
The OE AVS springs are 3 step and longer then OE AFB or Edelbrock rods.
Hmmm, I have the Eddy 1400 600cfm that is calibrated for economy. I just converted it to the 1406 IIRC that is calibrated for power and used a carter strip kit #10-201. Yes the rods are a different# stamped but are not longer or shorter than the Eds I pulled out. Same with the jets, I referenced the Eddy book I have and measured the rod tips with a digital caliper. Now I have to pull the carb apart to see what i put in there. Hmmm Maybe.

original mopar/carter primary jets are taller than edelbrocks. to use the edelbrock jet in the mopar specific carb all you need is the flat edelbrock metering rod/step-up piston cover. edelbrock step-up springs can be used too, with the orange spring being a good starting point. metering rods are all the same length.

a good starting point for the 6125 would be .089" primary jets with .065"x.052" metering rods and .093" secondary jets.

Maybe this kit I have is not as old as I think. The rods # 16-485 are .065 x.052 and are a 2 step. I dont have any 120-389 jets but he should be able to source them from Eddy. I will send him the rods though. Just paying it forward to a Mopar Brother.

don't forget the screw on caps that cover the rods/pistons. they must be non-mopar. .089" jets are as common as dirt; got some if needed.

Auto Transport Service
Back