• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Axle seal issues

Yes, that is a shop tools, not for one like me he only needs it once. it is a critical job though.
My father have a 66, 67 Belvedere wagons abandoned in our home town about 245 miles from where I live. I will make a trip soon and see if they are the same type.
Got to go and see what identification marks on the carrier of my Plymouth, just to make sure I get the correct one.

Don't think wagons are different, so bring your tools. I'd strip any parts you can haul back home.

I sure will, thank you for the reminder.

Finally I removed my father's 66 SW rear differential, it was the same P/N 2070741 and all the measurements were the same. The only difference is the ratio 3.55, mine is 2.94.
I don't what effects does the 3.55 axle has on driving over the 2.94?, looks interchangeable though.
Wish someone shed some info on this subject.

You’ll have A LOT more get up n go! Your speedometer will be way off, freeway speed will be spinning the engine close to 3k if not a bit more. But, in town will be a blast!

It will, just because of shear nature your engine is going to be spinning faster.

Finally I removed my father's 66 SW rear differential, it was the same P/N 2070741 and all the measurements were the same. The only difference is the ratio 3.55, mine is 2.94.
I don't what effects does the 3.55 axle has on driving over the 2.94?, looks interchangeable though.
Wish someone shed some info on this subject.

I went from 3.23 to 3.55. Very noticeable, car is quicker and much more fun to drive around town. I couldn't get past 3rd gear around town with the 3.23s. I have not drove on the parkway yet with the 3.55s but I will never go back to the 3.23s in any case. As far as mileage, Well that's not the first thing that I think of when I drive my RR 383 4spd. If the axle is not leaking swap the whole rear into your car, think you will be happy with it. - Good Luck!

I used the old 2.94 carrier, as I want everything original, just replace the banjo axle housing off of 66 Belvedere S.W, drove about 83 miles, no leaks or signs of oil drops.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back