• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B Bodies and Road Courses - My Super Bee Setup

Thanks Superbeemike for starting this discussion one year ago today. As a fairly new member here I have to say it's one of the most interesting things I've seen on these forums so far.

I am taking a fresh look at my plans for my GTX after reading through the whole thread.
Thank you Mac for the kind words. Good luck with the GTX and feel free to reach out if you need any help.

What is the ride height to the wheel well opening? I have the same wheels, but like the stance.
Did your pinion angle change with the 1' blocks?
Thank You

What is the ride height to the wheel well opening? I have the same wheels, but like the stance.
Did your pinion angle change with the 1' blocks?
Thank You

D7F5D753-D222-49E9-928C-9D97D1BD54F3.jpeg

DA33D1C7-3002-4E9E-BBF5-3A49909A4830.jpeg

25 1/4 in the rear
24 1/4 in the front

Kern, I love your cars and what you do with them. I too get grief on what I do with my Bee, even from my Dad. Honestly, everyone should do whatever they want, as long as it brings them the most pleasure. We own these cars to enjoy them and life is too short. These cars can easily be raised, lowered, adjusted, rebuilt, modified, or even restored back to stock. I see no harm in any of it.

I really like what you have done to and with your car.
It is corny when people say it....but guys like you are an inspiration. You're out there enjoying your car instead of only sitting behind it at a car show.
I have wanted to take my car to Willow Springs in Southern CA. I've made one excuse or another when the time comes but I did take the wife and her 2015 Challenger there in 2015. I need to get my mind in the manner of thinking that it isn't a competition against other cars, just against the clock.
Seeing you out there with stock based brakes and suspension is great.

Thank you! Mine needs lowering. So, did the lowering blocks change the pinion angle or not enough to worry about it?

My pinion angle is very close, not enough to worry about. I don’t remember the degree variation between the joints but it was minimal. The new springs might be responsible for that. I’ve had it over 110mph in the front straight and there are no noticeable vibrations. If your pinion angle ends up being off, wedge shims will get it right where you want and are simple to install.

…… I need to get my mind in the manner of thinking that it isn't a competition against other cars, just against the clock.

That’s exactly how one should approach it. So many go out there and have to be the fastest guy with the fastest car. I can tell you, there will always be someone faster.

I always say, I’m not the fastest guy, but I’m the guy having the most fun. I seriously set my expectations so low. Like hopefully they let me even go out with this old hunk of junk. When I leave the paddock and head for turn 1, I’m all smiles thinking wow, how can I be so lucky to be here. It’s really all about just getting out there and having fun.

If you ultimately want to be the fast guy out there, go have fun first, then work on improvements. The best improvement anyone can make to go faster is just simply learn to drive. Driver before car, start off slow and take it easy. Take classes, follow experienced drivers, be humble and open minded.

That's exactly why I decided to go pro touring to be the odd one out, to buck the trend to be different.

Well going back and reading through here. EdIt: granted I whent cool over rack an pinion

Last edited:
Hey Guys.... I just signed up for another weekend over at Thunder Hill. Its a 2 day HPDE similar to the last ones I attended. Its on October 8-9. I'm signed up with the Bee in group 3 and my youngest daughter is going to attend using my wife's awd Charger in group 1. We are planning to get there Friday and will be camping out at the track all weekend.

OnGrid Event Page

If you ever wanted to take you car to the track, this is the event to attend. This event is costly as it's a fundraiser event with entertainment and such, but it is still worth the cost. 2 full days and both tracks will be open, along with the drift pad. Message me if you are considering it and have any questions.

Mike

_S2A1381.jpg

New trailer tires installed….Heading out to the track now. I’ll post more about the weekend soon.

image.jpg

That’s exactly how one should approach it. So many go out there and have to be the fastest guy with the fastest car. I can tell you, there will always be someone faster.

I always say, I’m not the fastest guy, but I’m the guy having the most fun. I seriously set my expectations so low. Like hopefully they let me even go out with this old hunk of junk. When I leave the paddock and head for turn 1, I’m all smiles thinking wow, how can I be so lucky to be here. It’s really all about just getting out there and having fun.

If you ultimately want to be the fast guy out there, go have fun first, then work on improvements. The best improvement anyone can make to go faster is just simply learn to drive. Driver before car, start off slow and take it easy. Take classes, follow experienced drivers, be humble and open minded.
Not much different than drag racing. The first thing for me was to have fun first and foremost. Hate working on mechanical issues at the track as that's not much fun but sometimes it happens. Never tried to be the fastest because of the reason you mentioned but have been able to go fast for a lot less than most and to me, that adds to the fun. Concentrated on making the car consistent then practice on the tree then strategy. The main strategy was to race the clock and not worry about the guy in the other lane. Had a strategy for the guys that tried to do the smack talk mess in the staging lanes for sure though :) and it usually didn't take them long to cut that mess out.

The smack talking generally comes from those that know they don't have a f**king chance at winning. Cause they suck.
Poor losers lol

The smack talking generally comes from those that know they don't have a f**king chance at winning. Cause they suck.
Poor losers lol
Some have pretty fast cars and are good off the light but most are just trying to 'rattle your cage' and make it easier for them lol. Heck, had a guy in a Mudstain laugh at my car on the street one night at a red light (was working on it and was in mostly primer) on my way home from work and when the light turned green I put a car length on him. He wasn't ready for that but once he gathered it up, he blew by me but it rattled his cage. BUT, he showed up at the track the following Friday night bracket racing and well, I was ahead of him in the staging lanes and once up near the front I told one of the crew that he wanted to race me and gave him his car number so he pulled me over to the side to wait for him. He didn't have a chance. Took him out in the 1st round. He was pissed that a slow car beat the snot out of him :D NEVER laugh at some body's car no matter how ugly it is......

maybe i missed it, but are you only running lap belts or do you have shoulder belts too? i didnt see a cage in the car, so i'm assuming you dont need one? what kind of event is this? wondering if there is something similar in the midwest

maybe i missed it, but are you only running lap belts or do you have shoulder belts too? i didnt see a cage in the car, so i'm assuming you dont need one? what kind of event is this? wondering if there is something similar in the midwest
At first I was running factory lap and shoulder belts. This go around I installed a roll bar with 5 point harnesses. This is called a HPDE or High Performance Driving Event. Its basically just an open track day, no competitive driving. Its a pretty safe environment and they are all over the country. I use www.motorsportreg.com to find out what's going on.

Got back last night from Thunderhill and had a blast. Car still runs and the only two issues I really had was I lost the 4 gear syncro again, so it was grinding, and the drivers side valve cover was leaking pretty bad. I have all of my videos uploaded to YouTube, here's a link to the channel.

SuperBeeMike YouTube

Auto Transport Service
Back