• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B body lower control arm removal

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
8:36 PM
Reaction score
I’m about to embark on the dreaded lower control arm bushing replacement on my ‘70 Belvedere. 2 questions:

1. Should I invest $150 in a harbor freight press or can a bang’em in and out with a hammer and socket? I was going to use the 1 3/8” tap method to remove the bushing shell from the control arm.
2. I am also doing a drum to disc swap as I work my way out. My car will be on jack stands for about 3 weeks (due to work, vacation, etc.). Is it ok to have the front of the car on stands that long? Is placing the stands under the front end of the frame rails the best place?

I wouldn't even think of banging those in.........

A shop press is a handy tool when you need it.....If you have the space....

Or if you have a friend with a press or you can take it to a shop and have them press them in.......

You're concerned about the easy part......The fun part is removing everything to get the controls arms off and the dreaded bushing sleeves out.....

There are many informative threads here on this process and you can utilize the search tool above to find them. Also, READ the service manual......

As far as jack stands go.....The car can stay on them indefinitely...In regards to placement. That just depends on the stands you have. I place two large ones in front of the K frame by the rad support and two smaller ones beneath the front floor pans on the frame. Lastly, I take my floor jack with a 12" 2 x 6 with a rag on top underneath the oil pan....Excessive, maybe but I put safety first before anything else....Especially, when your banging on stuff...As you will be to get the torsion bars removed, balls joints loose etc...Also, you have to release tension on the LBJ by jacking the drum....

Its more to it than just pooping loose a ball joint.....Once you get the process it is time consuming but not bad to accomplish...

I just do not understand why people just cant utilize the resources already here? You learn more when you research things more......

Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 1.36.17 PM.png

Last edited:
I bought my press from HB just for my front end rebuild. LIFESAVER! Once it’s out weld a washer to the inside of the remaining bushing sleeve and press out from the back. I wouldn’t wish doing this with a hammer on anyone haha.

What is a good way to test if they are bad? I don’t know they are, just figured if swapping to discs I’d hit that too, but if they are good I’ll leave them.

I just do not understand why people just cant utilize the resources already here? You learn more when you research things more......
I notice that you can be quite helpful but also a bit curt at times. I seem to recall that you have posted this opinion a few times.
Consider this:
SOME people will think differently than you do. It does not make them wrong each time, just different. You should make room in your mind for the fact that some people will approach a situation with other gains in mind. Some may enjoy posting questions because a NEW tactic or "fix" has come along since a service manual was written. Some may not have the skills to perform a search, some don't want to sort through several threads to find the specific info they want.
YOU may know everything, others do not. Sometimes for them, starting a thread is a fast and easy way to get what they need.

I notice that you can be quite helpful but also a bit curt at times. I seem to recall that you have posted this opinion a few times.
Consider this:
SOME people will think differently than you do. It does not make them wrong each time, just different. You should make room in your mind for the fact that some people will approach a situation with other gains in mind. Some may enjoy posting questions because a NEW tactic or "fix" has come along since a service manual was written. Some may not have the skills to perform a search, some don't want to sort through several threads to find the specific info they want.
YOU may know everything, others do not. Sometimes for them, starting a thread is a fast and easy way to get what they need.
Wow, now that's calling the kettle black here.......lol.......I think you should go back to some of your previous posts and take your own advice.

I will eventually post the same opinion again and again.....Last I checked I was not the only one whom expressed the same. So open your mind and consider that...lol....

What makes you think I know everything? Wish I did but I appreciate you giving me credit.......

When will you be quite helpful?.......I see the majority of your posts being curt.......Just saying, Pot...

Check any of the many tech topics that I respond in...you will see.

I’m about to embark on the dreaded lower control arm bushing replacement on my ‘70 Belvedere. 2 questions:

1. Should I invest $150 in a harbor freight press or can a bang’em in and out with a hammer and socket? I was going to use the 1 3/8” tap method to remove the bushing shell from the control arm.
2. I am also doing a drum to disc swap as I work my way out. My car will be on jack stands for about 3 weeks (due to work, vacation, etc.). Is it ok to have the front of the car on stands that long? Is placing the stands under the front end of the frame rails the best place?

1. Yes, Invest the $150 if you have room for it. Get the 20 ton. Use the 1 3/8" tap method. I got a used one on eBay for $10.

2. My convertible sat for the same amount of time with no problems. I like to go on the frame rail just in front of the torsion bar crossmenber.

Jim Lusk has a great tutorial for LCA bushing replacement:

Here are some tips from my experience:

FEF part 1,2,3

Never heard of using a tap, pretty cool. My past searches here and other places never brought that one up. I tried to weld the washer on the old sleeve but it would just rip the metal apart, never worked for me.

Wow, now that's calling the kettle black here.......

When will you be quite helpful?.......I see the majority of your posts being curt.......Just saying, Pot...

In the interest of being reasonable, I want to put a lid on this right now.
Sure, I can also be abrupt and abrasive but mostly in terms of politics and hypocrisy. If and when it goes beyond that, feel free to call me on it. Just like any reasonable person, I am always learning and trying to improve. I can take constructive criticism. I don't like it but I can sometimes learn from it.
I'm sure you understood my point even if you did not agree with it. To recap....

Makes sense, right?
Besides....If members only did searches as you suggest, they might miss out on banter like this!
No hard feelings on my end....

In the interest of being reasonable, I want to put a lid on this right now.
Sure, I can also be abrupt and abrasive but mostly in terms of politics and hypocrisy. If and when it goes beyond that, feel free to call me on it. Just like any reasonable person, I am always learning and trying to improve. I can take constructive criticism. I don't like it but I can sometimes learn from it.
I'm sure you understood my point even if you did not agree with it. To recap....

Makes sense, right?
Besides....If members only did searches as you suggest, they might miss out on banter like this!
No hard feelings on my end....
Again my post number #7 clearly sums my position well and that will not change....That's my lid and I am shutting it tight......

Again...don't you recall I only rely on useful information? Doesn't that make sense, right?

If you put a lid on your end as you stated above. Then I guess we are done, right? That is if your words are useful or are they useless!

I don't have hard feelings either.....

Can't you blokes just know when to shut up and leave it alone? I come on to this site to escape from the kids bickering but lately it seems like the adults are acting worse than the kids! You both seem like reasonable and knowledgable guys and in person I'm sure you'd be great guys to hang out with, but surely you have to know when to leave the damn keyboard alone and go and do something else (like drive the car or work on it)?
Cheers

Can't you blokes just know when to shut up and leave it alone? I come on to this site to escape from the kids bickering but lately it seems like the adults are acting worse than the kids! You both seem like reasonable and knowledgable guys and in person I'm sure you'd be great guys to hang out with, but surely you have to know when to leave the damn keyboard alone and go and do something else (like drive the car or work on it)?
Cheers
I agree...but that bloke quoted me throwing digs....He should have sent me a pm discussing his issue rather than going public...However, he still continues and I clearly stated in my last post I was done(put a lid on it)......

Feeling a little mean, this morning...toss a few cents into the bucket.

I'll be the first to agree, it's easy to get the answer to a ?...even if it's just handed out. Learn anything? Some want to, some don't. (I learned most of what I know, out of books.)
Learn...working on a damn Pratt one day, came up with a ?. Went to the shop inspector, who during WW2, was shop foreman for Pratt building R-2800s. Hehe, he looks at me, leans over to the book shelf, pulls out a 4" thick manual, and slaps it down on the desk. Tells me what I want to know, is in there, pointing at it! (He was probably feeling a little mean. Had known me a few years)

Think I'd rather learn something, or get info from experienced, maybe even learn something. Sounds dangerous, huh?

Auto Transport Service
Back