• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B Body starter problem

Is that tooth damage I can see in on the ring gear?

Was there any play with the bolts holding the starter loosened off? There should be enough to move it around some.
When you loosen the bolts, you of course then have a little play, but you hold/pry the starter over a little as soon as you draw up the bolts, that pulls it right back even if you try to hold/pry it over at the same time. And yes, I think that is some damage to the gear that has occurred from having the engine running for a few seconds and/or from kicking the starter in and out. That is why I said do you think this ring gear/torque converter could be faulty?

When you loosen the bolts, you of course then have a little play, but you hold/pry the starter over a little as soon as you draw up the bolts, that pulls it right back even if you try to hold/pry it over at the same time. And yes, I think that is some damage to the gear that has occurred from having the engine running for a few seconds and/or from kicking the starter in and out. That is why I said do you think this ring gear/torque converter could be faulty?
That would depend upon how much damage there is on the teeth.

Yes, I think that is a good question. The converter looks fairly stock, probably no history on it?

There was a strange mark where it looked like a mounting pad used to be, looking up into, at the starter nose

It's like on-line jeopardy for car guys. :lol:

Alex; I'll take" Guess an engine noise." For $400.

Would like to see it in person. Not fun though. Especially on a customer car

Kiwi is right, you need to move the starter over a little bit. Probably have to elongate one or both of the holes. Maybe so you can twist it just enough. Somehow move the drive gear away from the ring gear. I had to lay under my car with good light for several hours of on and off, and die grinder to get the mini to work correctly. Just my experience with it.

I'm thinking it may be more of an electrical issue than a mechanical issue as discussed above. Has the battery been relocated to the trunk or is it still under the hood in the stock configuration?
Still in stock configuration. But I have checked voltages and I have power when I should and don't have it when I shouldn't. At the relay and at the starter.

Make sure the relay is releasing. If for some reason the little wire on the starter is staying hot the starter will be engaged all the time.
I thought the same thing even though the voltages were correct so I replaced the relay with no results.

From the looks of the starter you're not going to be able to return it so I would take a little off of the nose to see if it is holding it to close to the ring gear.

Are you sure the TC seated fully into transmission???? As it looks now, the starter gear is engaged already with ring gear. Trimming nose of starter would only make things worse no??

I would take some off the outside of the nose to let it move away from the ring gear not off of the end.

Auto Transport Service
Back