• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B Body starter problem

Haven't read the whole thread but have you tried a jumper wire from the main starter post to the small terminal?

Post some pics? Starter, starter hole, converter etc

Did the starter have a Plastic cover covering another set of terminals? If so remove it and use terminal under it.

How do you make an adjustment between the flywheel and the starter?
Back off the bolts......there is enough slop in the bolt holes to give enough of a clearance.....nip the bolts up a little, then push the starter sideways away from the ring gear and then tighten the bolts.

You will get enough clearance. I have done this myself.

I am using MSDs mini starter and I inquired about using the seal plate and they told me not to use it. That may be an issue.
Mike

Back off the bolts......there is enough slop in the bolt holes to give enough of a clearance.....nip the bolts up a little, then push the starter sideways away from the ring gear and then tighten the bolts.

Drummer.gif

View attachment 1549446

Yes, I tried that. But with the nose of the starter fitting into the hole back in the bell housing you don't have much play at all. It made no change.

Yes, I tried that. But with the nose of the starter fitting into the hole back in the bell housing you don't have much play at all. It made no change.
Do you think that the new torque converter/ring gear could possibly be faulty? Like the gear is not machined properly? Because it really looks like the starter gear is too close to the ring gear. When I hook up a starter button directly from the battery to the starter, I hit the button about 6 or 7 times before it actually engages into the ring gear. The other 5 or 6 times the starter gear hits the teeth on the ring gear. But the bendix returns every time whether it engages or not.

Do you think that the new torque converter/ring gear could possibly be faulty? Like the gear is not machined properly? Because it really looks like the starter gear is too close to the ring gear. When I hook up a starter button directly from the battery to the starter, I hit the button about 6 or 7 times before it actually engages into the ring gear. The other 5 or 6 times the starter gear hits the teeth on the ring gear. But the bendix returns every time whether it engages or not.
From reading all the responses above, and you claiming you have dismissed all suggestions by trial & error.....I can only conclude that the starter is not the correct one for your car. I doubt that Summit would send out faulty parts - at least not twice in a row.....sniggers a bit....

Show us the starter, and a picture of it if possible. Let's see if there are any contact witness marks on the teeth or the frame of the starter.

That is where I was heading..
Pics,,, maybe a measurement of distance from the gear to the trans flange/ bellhousing

That is where I was heading..
Pics,,, maybe a measurement of distance from the gear to the trans flange/ bellhousing
New member and not real good with a computer. The ring gear at the bottom of the bell housing is only about 1/4" from gear to housing. Converter seems to measure 11.5" with 130 teeth. Does that seem correct?

From reading all the responses above, and you claiming you have dismissed all suggestions by trial & error.....I can only conclude that the starter is not the correct one for your car. I doubt that Summit would send out faulty parts - at least not twice in a row.....sniggers a bit....

Show us the starter, and a picture of it if possible. Let's see if there are any contact witness marks on the teeth or the frame of the starter.

DSCN6944.JPG

DSCN6946.JPG

DSCN6947.JPG

DSCN6948.JPG

DSCN6950.JPG

Is that tooth damage I can see in on the ring gear?

Was there any play with the bolts holding the starter loosened off? There should be enough to move it around some.

Auto Transport Service
Back