• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B&M 162ci blower for smallblock

mopardude318

Local time
3:24 AM
Reaction score
This is my current 318

Its a completely stock bottom end from a mid to late 70's car. (cast crank, rods, pistons.) Its got keith black silvolite cast pistons that are .060 overbore, with 4 valve reliefs and they are .070 down in the hole...(remember late 70's low compression)

95mvxy.jpg

j77zop.jpg

I did a rering job, honed the cylinders, emory clothed the crank journals and installed new main, rod, and cam bearings. Assembled the short block with a comp cams double roller timing chain, a timing chain tensioner from a magnum engine, and the MP windage tray kit, with a HV oil pump.

The cam & lifters I used is an Edelbrock Performer RPM kit. 234/244 @ .050 and 488/510 lift and a 112* LSA.

2gsflso.jpg

mto2ti.jpg

1z20hs8.jpg

For the heads, they are the RHS/Indy X heads prepped by Brian @ IMM with 202/160 valves, 5/16 stems, and beehive springs for a lightweight valvetrain combo. They have a 62cc closed chamber.

28va8o8.jpg

iy0l6q.jpg

mcxceu.jpg

I used Hughes Engines 1.5 roller rockers, and custom length comp cams chromoly pushrods.

2uihvf7.jpg

mtml4k.jpg

The intake is an Edelbrock Performer RPM with a holley 650 spreadbore carb. It is, IMO, a very responsive carburetor.

3329bpw.jpg

To finish it off, I used TTI headers.

67jhu8.jpg

This engine is in my '68 Barracuda fastback, with an 8 3/4 and 3:55 suregrip. Rebuilt 904, red clutches, kolene steels, 4.2 lever, HD band strut, HD accumulator spring, with a TransGo II shift kit. 3000 stall PTC converter.

I haven't been to the track so I don't know what it runs or what I have for horsepower... 310 HP maybe??

It runs really good on the street and it feels fast, it'll chirp into 2nd gear all the time, and if I'm really on it, it'll spin the tires while shifting to second and I gotta let off.

Anyways, while searching craigslist I came across a completely new NOS B&M 162ci blower kit for small chrysler. I couldn't pass it up. I'd like to install this on my 318...

IMG_8213.jpg

Thoughts/comments are welcome. :)

Last edited:
Say goodbye to pump gas.

I was hoping I was gonna be safe due to the lower compression, and I was gonna use water/methanol injection. And maybe use a boost retard ignition if it's necessary...In cali, we are limited with pump 91 premium as the highest. Not the greatest...

???

With 62cc chambers, you're at least at 9:1. That's too much for a blower.

You can use 9:1 with Blower, just minimal boost. also the silvolites won't like the Boost. A computer controller and Knock sensor will make it barely do able.

Just ran some figures through the United Engine calculator. It might not be all that bad, but there are some variables I am guessing at such as head gasket bore diameter and thickness. I used 4.100 for the gasket bore diameter and .039 for compressed thickness. Using 5cc for the piston head volume, which is probably dead on and .070 deck clearance, I got 8.474:1. That's not too bad. I always like running blower motors really low on static compression like 7:1 or lower and letting the blower do the work. I would look for a thicker head gasket so you could really make the blower work. But that's just one peon's opinion. Oh and even at 8.47 it'll be a premium pump gas motor with a blower IF you're lucky.

- - - Updated - - -

You can use 9:1 with Blower, just minimal boost. also the silvolites won't like the Boost. A computer controller and Knock sensor will make it barely do able.

Yeah but that kinda defeats the purpose.

Just ran some figures through the United Engine calculator. It might not be all that bad, but there are some variables I am guessing at such as head gasket bore diameter and thickness. I used 4.100 for the gasket bore diameter and .039 for compressed thickness. Using 5cc for the piston head volume, which is probably dead on and .070 deck clearance, I got 8.474:1. That's not too bad. I always like running blower motors really low on static compression like 7:1 or lower and letting the blower do the work. I would look for a thicker head gasket so you could really make the blower work. But that's just one peon's opinion. Oh and even at 8.47 it'll be a premium pump gas motor with a blower IF you're lucky.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah but that kinda defeats the purpose.

okay, so what thick head gasket would you recommend? do ya have a PN? I dont remember which ones I used that came in the re-ring kit I got from summit. it was just a standard re-ring kit... another recommendation i got was to use the felpro 1008's.

Going with the thicker head gaskets, would that affect my rocker arm geometry, requiring longer pushrods?

This one has the largest compressed volume before the Cometic.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-7327/overview/make/dodge

10.7cc's compressed volume. No, gaskets in this range will not require different pushrods......you do have adjustable rockers, right? The Cometics are .120 compressed thickness with over 25cc's compressed volume. That would probably be the best but they might require a different pushrod. You just won't know until you get it all mocked up. Adjustable rockers can take up a lot of slack in regards to pushrod length.

Give it a try. Start low with the timing. Try not to rattle the engine with those pistons though.

Been away for a while, been slowly gathering other parts needed for this swap.

I am in the market for a carburetor. What would you guys recommend? I have my eye on the Holley line of supercharger carburetors, like the 750 mechanical secondary manual choke version.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-0-80573s

There is also one with no choke, and a few more additional features...like "screw-in air bleeds for added tuning, a notched float, and jet extensions to prevent fuel starvation. Other features include a 4-corner idle system, and dual 30cc or 50cc accelerator pumps"

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-0-80576s

How would the above carbs work with an automatic?

I Haven't found a supercharger specific carb with vacuum secondaries...

Any thoughts...Rob...anyone? lol

Who said to use a double pumper? I mean.......you know the old rule of thumb. Double pumper with a manual trans and vacuum secondary with an auto. I do wonder though, with a blower, how that would effect a vacuum secondary? Have you tried calling B&M to see what they recommend? There are exceptions of course. Loose converter and short gears and you can get by with a double pumper on an auto. Works better sometimes. I think a 750 is about right. You'll probably need to fatten it up at WOT.

some stuff i didn't know---yet

this thread is a good example of all the smarts on this forum. :headbang:

Who said to use a double pumper? I mean.......you know the old rule of thumb. Double pumper with a manual trans and vacuum secondary with an auto. I do wonder though, with a blower, how that would effect a vacuum secondary? Have you tried calling B&M to see what they recommend? There are exceptions of course. Loose converter and short gears and you can get by with a double pumper on an auto. Works better sometimes. I think a 750 is about right. You'll probably need to fatten it up at WOT.

I know it kinda goes against the rule of thumb, and is odd to me... but I've been told by others who have a similar setup to use a DP...There's some other threads on the chevy forums if ya search for these mini blowers on google, with contradicting advice, use a DP, they work great on these blowers, don't use one, itll create more hassle if ya have an auto...and so on....A member over at FABO has one on his 360 using the 950 hp supercharger carb and recommends that holley 750 dp blower carb for mine...just thought I would ask some of yall mopar gurus over here what you think, the more info the merrier. :)

I havent been able to find a dedicated supercharger carb with vacuum 2ndaries....they are all offered as mech 2ndaries only...

the octane available is going to determine the amount of boost you will be able to run ,, 93 octane will only support 9 pounds of boost on a motor not computer controled, vacuum secondaries wont open fast enough when your making boost,, since you may have to much compression with your piston/head combo, you will have to control the boost by chaning the pully size,, are the pulleys still available ? if not you will have to search for one or have one made to slow the blower speed down,,, i believe those blowrs came ready to make around 5 to 6 pounds you wont know till you put a gauge on it,, there are also converters made to take the abuse of a blower,sooner or later you will blow your converter apart ,if you beat the snot out of it,, head gasket and blower pulley size wil be what makes it drivable with your 91 octane,,,

Attachments

• refreshing the cuda july 2008 064.jpg
    refreshing the cuda july 2008 064.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 661
the octane available is going to determine the amount of boost you will be able to run ,, 93 octane will only support 9 pounds of boost on a motor not computer controled, vacuum secondaries wont open fast enough when your making boost,, since you may have to much compression with your piston/head combo, you will have to control the boost by chaning the pully size,, are the pulleys still available ? if not you will have to search for one or have one made to slow the blower speed down,,, i believe those blowrs came ready to make around 5 to 6 pounds you wont know till you put a gauge on it,, there are also converters made to take the abuse of a blower,sooner or later you will blow your converter apart ,if you beat the snot out of it,, head gasket and blower pulley size wil be what makes it drivable with your 91 octane,,,

Hey fstfish! Yes, the pulleys are still available. I have a 6" crank pulley and a 3.5" driven pulley, which "should" make about 7psi on a 318...I also plan to use a water/meth injection system as well...

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems....ater-Methanol-Injection-Kit/product_info.html

Thanks for the help thus far. :)

Also, keep this in mind. Them little blowers had teflon strips on the edges of the rotors. We ran one on a Pro/Street-Super/Pro Monza years ago and had to end up having the rotors modified to delete the seals, because they kept blowing out. I've heard that was a pretty big problem with those blowers.

Minor update. Here's the 1" shorter snout installed on the blower, I had to use a shorter snout to clear the mechanical clutch fan. Now I have to machine 1" off the blower pulley spacer. :blob:

IMG_0526_zps9c7393b4.jpg

After months of saving little by little, and a 10% off coupon from summit, I finally was able to purchase the recommended Felpro 1008 head gaskets, a Holley 750 supercharger carb, and the MSD 6BTM ignition box.

IMG_0524_zpsd58d4d5e.jpg

Next big thing on the list is the Water/Methanol injection system. This, combined with the boost retard ignition should dramatically reduce the chances of detonation. Helping the engine along to surviving. :happy8:

Cool! I'm glad you're able to keep going with this. I had been wondering about it. Keep us posted and good luck!

sweeeet! first time i've seen this thread and im looking forward to seeing it all come together :happy1:

Auto Transport Service
Back