• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Back in the day, Where was the gas filler?

The engineers tested about every spot they could. My 60 Phoenix has it in the bumper. Not a good spot if you have a bad back but at least if you overfill it, the mess is on the ground.

Phoenix Rear.Jpg

55 Imperial had it under the taillight which was mounted on top of the fin.

My '63 Plymouth has the cap behind the license plate; not long ago finally used a wire tie to leash the gas cap, was always a concern where to set it while filling up or forgetting to put it back on.
I remember when self service gas stations were just starting, I used to see multiple gas caps stacked up on top of the pumps.

When I worked at the Ringoes, NJ Sunoco in the late '70s, there were two cars that threw me. One was a Simca, if I recall correctly, the filler was in the engine compartment. By the time I grabbed the hose and got to rear of the car the owner had already removed the gas cap. I started putting the nozzle into the vertical tube that was right there when he quickly stopped me. I was about to fill up the air cleaner housing. The fuel pipe was nearby, but harder to see. The other was one of those Buick Opel by Isuzu. I and the owner walked around that car about three times. Eventually, we found it under a small piece of trim at the base of the C pillar.

Auto Transport Service
Back