• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BACK TO THE FUTURE WITH AN 8 TRACK

You need to look at all the old 8 track wire colors. About all I see as common is red power and black ground. Maybe at some point they came to a standard color code but the older are all over the place.
The common ground under dash units were usually Black (common) ground (Chassis and speakers) Left Grey, right green red 12+ with radio there was usually a yellow or blue for the lighting with a small amperage fuse. I did lots of Craig, Pioneer, and several other brands we sold at Team Electronics

pull the wire cover off the back, the grey wire is missing maybe cut off or ripped out the grey is the common neg. ground for the speakers. according to the wiring dia. there is or was a grey wire in there somewhere. if its not visiable thru back wire cover remove the screws probably located on the sides and pull the top or bottom plate cover off and locate the wire. splice a new wire on, and test. good luck.
Got it working and it sounds pretty decent! Thanks for the help.

For the Sanyo FT-818 the chassis ground and speaker ground wire leads are common... Also the FT-818 has NO balance control, just independent left and right volume level contriols. To test for Stereo output, insert a tape turn the Right volume level up with the Left volume level down, U should get sound output just from the right channel speaker. (Yellow wire to right speaker +, black wire to right speaker -). Next turn the Left volume level up with the right volume level down, U should get sound output just from the left channel. (Green wire to left speaker +, black wire to left speaker -).
The black wire should also be grounded to the car chassis..

Just my $0.02...
YAHOO! IT WORKED! YOU ARE THE MAN! EXTREMELY GRATEFUL!

YAHOO! IT WORKED! YOU ARE THE MAN! EXTREMELY GRATEFUL!
Glad it worked... :thumbsup: That wiring is pretty simple compared to the newer, later digital stuff. I have been doing car audio systems design/install for >30 years, have done multiple higher-end installs for CES, SEMA as well as working for certain major OE auto brands. Also have multiple patents and written for some of the car audio publications..

Just my $0.02...

I’m sorry I can’t offer advice, I just want to comment on your great decision, 8 tracks rule! :lol:

I have a RCA, I ran dual 4” in the dash, 6x9s in the package tray, put a equalizer/booster under the seat. Completely bypassed the radio, there’s nothing good on it anyway.

View attachment 1415219
I must have missed something with you and a fuel gauge, lol. But it appears you have plenty by looking at that.

Last edited:
I must have missed something with you and a fuel gauge, lol. But it appears you have plenty by looking at that.
Its a long story, some members are just too nosey with other members gas gauges (charles cook, 33 IMP, dads bee.) check out Sunday show of speed thread.

Auto Transport Service
Back