• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ball Joint Socket size for 69-70 Super Bee

moparmusclecars

Local time
4:26 AM
Reaction score
Ok, what size socket do i need to remove this upper ball joint on a 69 Bee? I assume 70 bee would be the same? Someone tells me they used about three different size sockets to get these ball joints out. I am using 3/4 drive rachet. Anyone know what size i need to purchase??? Thanks.

ball joint69bee.jpg

Yup...but if you don't want to buy one, you should be able to borrow one from a local auto parts house.....

It would be the middle size ball joint socket.

I have 2 different sizes one is a Matco #SPS32 and a larger Cornwell # WH33. I think the matco socket is the one but I can take them home and check. i'll post later and let you know.

1-15/16 Socket.

A regular socket will not work correctly. The ball joint is round with 4 flats on it, so a 6 or 12 point won't fit. It requires a special ball joint socket to fit properly.

A regular socket will not work correctly. The ball joint is round with 4 flats on it, so a 6 or 12 point won't fit. It requires a special ball joint socket to fit properly.
yea i know, that is the size of the Ball joint socket

Get prepared - I broke the drivers side loose on my 67 GTX today in the process of tearing down the suspension to rebuild. Everything else came apart easily as the car is really clean underneath and the uppers have been replaced before. But I've never had to strain that hard on a bolted connection before, like I had to on that upper ball joint. The ball joint socket has a 1/2 inch receiver so I used a break over bar with a piece of pipe over the end. After leaning on it the first time and seeing how much the break over bar was flexing I went and got a face shield and leather gloves. Finally after planting my foot on the frame and pulling for about all I was worth, there was a loud pop and it moved. Think I'll soak the other side in penetrating oil a little longer.

The joints are torqued to 125 ft/lbs, so it is best to use an impact.

The joints are torqued to 125 ft/lbs, so it is best to use an impact.

I got back to work on my GTX today and tried my old Harbor Freight impact wrench on the pass side upper ball joint. It's a 30 year old piece that probably has all the quality of a rock - but it hasn't ever failed to remove a bolt before, one way or the other. You're right - it spun if off like there was nothing to it.

Auto Transport Service
Back