• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ballast resistor

moweepea

Local time
1:55 AM
Reaction score
I'm having problems with my ignition on my 63 Ply. Savoy with a 440 motor. I think it is the ballast resistor. It gets so hot that you cannot touch it and after about twenty minutes of driving the car just stops,it will turn over but will not start. If I go ahead and change the ballast resistor it starts right up. I just don't know how to track this problem down. The ballast resistor is mounted right to the firewall with nothing behind it right? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks Harry

If you put the old ballast resistor back in, what happens ? Obviously, if it works, the problem is not the BR.

Sounds like there is a short somewhere in the system. Check all wiring & coil.
Any recent upgrades like electric ignition etc.?

Points system or electronic?

I'll agree there might be a short or something is sucking the guts out of the primary side of the ignition circuit - as in high current draw. Check the coil resistance. Is there anything hooked up to the IGN circuit that shouldn't be?

I'll agree there might be a short or something is sucking the guts out of the primary side of the ignition circuit - as in high current draw. Check the coil resistance. Is there anything hooked up to the IGN circuit that shouldn't be?

Im thinking your right Meep.
I think I would start by checking for continuity from the + post of the coil to ground. Should be a big fat 0 ohms if things are in proper working order. Only when the Ign module closes the Ground side "- post of the coil" should you have any continuity to ground on the + post of the coil. I would also be interested in any melted insulation of the + coil lead and shorting to ground before the coil terminal.

Auto Transport Service
Back