• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ballast Resistors

The Rebel

Local time
8:31 AM
Reaction score
So, what's the difference between these two? I have electronic ignition.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

Most likely nothing function wise. You would need to OHM them and make sure the values they have fall in line with the system you are running.

They may have different operating voltages when they warm up.
Most after market electronic ignitions do not require a ballast resistor.
You didn't mention if yours requires a resistor.

The ceramic block one without the steel bracket looks like the one mounted on my cars firewall which was originally a points car.

They may have different operating voltages when they warm up.
Most after market electronic ignitions do not require a ballast resistor.
You didn't mention if yours requires a resistor.

The ceramic block one without the steel bracket looks like the one mounted on my cars firewall which was originally a points car.

The triangle shaped one was on my car when I got it years ago. I'm switching over to an OEM one. I have the old Mopar Gold Ignition Box.

I think "measure the resistance of...." is the phrase you are groping for. :rolleyes:
ohm, abbreviation Ω, unit of electrical resistance in the metre-kilogram-second system, named in honour of the 19th-century German physicist Georg Simon Ohm. It is equal to the resistance of a circuit in which a potential difference of one volt produces a current of one ampere (1Ω = 1 V/A); or, the resistance in which one watt of power is dissipated when one ampere flows through it. Ohm’s law (q.v.) states that resistance equals the ratio of the potential difference to current, and the ohm, volt, and ampere are the respective fundamental units used universally for expressing quantities.

Impedance, the apparent resistance to an alternating current, and reactance, the part of impedance resulting from capacitance or inductance, are circuit characteristics that are measured in ohms. The acoustic ohm and the mechanical ohm are analogous units sometimes used in the study of acoustic and mechanical systems, respectively.

If you have Chrys elec ign, & the Chrys coil, then you need a bal res for the coil. Some of the ECUs have an extra terminal & they require a 5 ohm res to that terminal. These ECUs usually use a dual 0.5/5 ohm bal res.

The original Mopar electronic ignition conversion kit came with a single ballast rated at 0.8 ohm,
orange control box.
Just putting that out there.

ohm, abbreviation Ω, unit of electrical resistance in the metre-kilogram-second system, named in honour of the 19th-century German physicist Georg Simon Ohm. It is equal to the resistance of a circuit in which a potential difference of one volt produces a current of one ampere (1Ω = 1 V/A); or, the resistance in which one watt of power is dissipated when one ampere flows through it. Ohm’s law (q.v.) states that resistance equals the ratio of the potential difference to current, and the ohm, volt, and ampere are the respective fundamental units used universally for expressing quantities.

Impedance, the apparent resistance to an alternating current, and reactance, the part of impedance resulting from capacitance or inductance, are circuit characteristics that are measured in ohms. The acoustic ohm and the mechanical ohm are analogous units sometimes used in the study of acoustic and mechanical systems, respectively.
Good information...:thumbsup:

Don't know which 'original' Chrys elec ign is being referred to in post #13, but I bought the 'original' Direct Connection [ forerunner of Mopar Performance, part #s started with a P, P3690422 ] elec ign conversion kit in the early 70s. I still have the instruction sheet. It came with a 5 pin ECU & dual bal res, 0.5 ohm & 5 ohm. All the early 70s Chrys cars I saw in this country that had factory elec ign had dual bal res....

Don't know which 'original' Chrys elec ign is being referred to in post #13, but I bought the 'original' Direct Connection [ forerunner of Mopar Performance, part #s started with a P, P3690422 ] elec ign conversion kit in the early 70s. I still have the instruction sheet. It came with a 5 pin ECU & dual bal res, 0.5 ohm & 5 ohm. All the early 70s Chrys cars I saw in this country that had factory elec ign had dual bal res....
I think the early add on kits had the dual resistor and 5 pin. The sort of mimicked the factory style. Later were rewired and has a single resistor and 4 pin as I recall.

^^^Correct. 5 pin module had the extra pin for the 5 ohm bal res. Res deleted with 4 pin module.

Auto Transport Service
Back