• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How good is the Proform 440-425 ignition box

theamcguy

Local time
1:25 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1970 Road Runner, with an original late 1970s electronic ignition upgrade. The ignition worked perfectly, but all of the resin has leaked out of a working blue ignition box and I am wondering who has the best ignition box to replace it with. Or does anybody know of a restoration service for the ignition boxes?

Glendora Dodge (My Sponsor for 40 plus years)sells a Mopar Performance Orange control box
that they get directly from the old Mopar Performance Suppliers. If you tell them you are
my buddy it is extremely affordable (Less than Auto Parts trash!). It has been much better than
anything else on my Street/Strip Mopars. It has much simplified wiring and resistor requirement than
the old Blue box and in my opinion more reliability. the Blue box as I recall, had an extra wire connected
to the plug (5 instead of 4) and a more complicated ballast resistors arrangement.

I asked Larry Shephard at Mopar Performance why they did that 30 years ago and he said they could not source
the ballast resistor that they were trying to find in time for production.

PM me if anyone on the forum wants the number and contact person.

I am not a big fan of Proform Electronics.

Last edited:
FBO module? Requires a different coil, probably a more expensive way to go , but does have a rev limiter.

Auto Transport Service
Back