• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barrett Jackson Experience?

Awesome! I love Frank Lloyd Wright's style.
You should check out Spring Green, WI if you haven't already, Mario. House on the Rock, too. While not built or designed by FLW, it was influenced by him. It's an interesting shrine to excess.

Hi All,

Thinking of going to the Scottsdale auction in January. Slightly interested in the auction but thinking about it more as a huge car show. Looks like it goes on for a week or more. Does anyone know if ALL the cars are there from the first day and can you view all of them or do they bring them in daily? Wondering about your general experience attending. Again, I don't have a lot of interest in the auction, its all the other stuff. Most likely my trip would be the first weekend of the event.
Not to steer off topic too much, but if you're looking for a car show with a lot of interesting, unique, and rare cars with great stories, check out MCACN some year, if you haven't already.

It's an interesting shrine to excess.
Hold on a sec, there Guy...Frank Lloyd Wright wasn't bout excess. He was all about fitting the house to the property it was built on. Btw, any crappie lakes near Spring Green?? Have Lund, will travel. :drinks:

Hold on a sec, there Guy...Frank Lloyd Wright wasn't bout excess. He was all about fitting the house to the property it was built on. Btw, any crappie lakes near Spring Green?? Have Lund, will travel. :drinks:
Exactly

F.L.W. mostly was famous/used a 'series of boxes stacked in different ways'
on almost all his (houses) OPEN Floorplans/designs, he's truly an icon in architecture...
(a lot of natural surroundings, blending it in & light too, orientations, using the
sun for heating/light, even the moon etc
.)
Some strange stuff & a shitload of old famous celerities house, in BelAir Hollywood too
his designs are used in a crapload of movies...

how did a thread about BJ auctions ? get to F.L.W. designs ? :poke:

I'm guilty as charged too...

Last edited:
LOL - hang on Mario! He didn't design it, but the design was inspired by him. How the owner, Alex Jordan, filled the house is the shrine to excess. Rooms full of multiple things. The carousel room is the highlight for male visitors. :lol:

Visit & Tour Info - House on the Rock

And yes, there are lakes all over this state!

LOL - hang on Mario! He didn't design it, but the design was inspired by him. How the owner, Alex Jordan, filled the house is the shrine to excess. Rooms full of multiple things. The carousel room is the highlight for male visitors. :lol:

Visit & Tour Info - House on the Rock

And yes, there are lakes all over this state!
Well, I know there are lakes, Dave. I want you to show me the good ones :poke:
:rofl:

Well, I know there are lakes, Dave. I want you to show me the good ones :poke:
Take a run out to Shabbona you should be able to find some cold-water crappies out there. Boat traffic should be light or non-existent this time of year.

Take a run out to Shabbona you should be able to find some cold-water crappies out there. Boat traffic should be light or non-existent this time of year.

Hi All,

Thinking of going to the Scottsdale auction in January. Slightly interested in the auction but thinking about it more as a huge car show. Looks like it goes on for a week or more. Does anyone know if ALL the cars are there from the first day and can you view all of them or do they bring them in daily? Wondering about your general experience attending. Again, I don't have a lot of interest in the auction, its all the other stuff. Most likely my trip would be the first weekend of the event.
I’ve been a few times. It is a great experience. If you love cars and memorabilia you’ll enjoy it. There’s also more than just the auction. I’ve bought stuff from vendors.

But just the crappy ones? :lol:

See what I did there?
1671117060604.png

That's the one off of 88, right? Think the lake is frozen over yet?

That's the one off of 88, right? Think the lake is frozen over yet?
To keep this on topic, I've never been to a Barrett-Jackson auction..... but I have been to Shabbona lake. I don't know the driving directions to Scottsdale, but the driving directions to Shabbona are;

From East : Take I-88 (East West Tollway) west past Aurora toll booth. Exit at Sugar Grove Exit (Rt 56 to Rt 30). Continue west on Rt 56, it will turn into US 30 west. Continue west on US 30 through Big Rock, Hinckley, Waterman then Shabbona. Follow blue tourism signs at the east edge of Shabbona, they will take you to Lakeside, Pokanoka’s or the Camp Store.
From West : Take US30 east into Shabbona. Follow blue tourism signs at the west edge of Shabbona, they will take you to Lakeside, Pokanoka’s or the Camp Store.
From North : Take I39 south to US30 east. Take US30 east into Shabbona. Follow blue tourism signs at the west edge of Shabbona, they will take you to Lakeside, Pokanoka’s or the Camp Store.
From South : Take I39 north to US30 east. Take US30 east into Shabbona. Follow blue tourism signs at the west edge of Shabbona, they will take you to Lakeside, Pokanoka’s or the Camp Store.

The Barrett-Jackson auction and Shabbona lake are much the same in that neither the auction nor the lake are frozen over yet, and the bait shop and the boat rental are closed for the season at both places. However, I do think that the Crappie fishing would be better at Shabbona than at the Barrett-Jackson auction.

LowBikeMike, sorry about the hijack if you do go, update this post and let everyone know how you liked it.

My wife and I went to Mecum Kissimmee about 5 years ago and had a great time. We both already had (and have) our own classic muscle cars that we both would have difficulty finding a car either of us would prefer to what we have, and very unlikely could afford.
So Barrett Jackson is coming to New Orleans for the first time I'm aware of, and we are going Saturday and taking her 5 yr old grandson who is "into cars" and I found this thread looking for some idea of the experience.
Thanks for all the posts!

Mecum started out in Northern Illinois and as they expanded with more and more auctions, Illinois largely faded in their lineup. But they still had a fall auction that was near me, that I attended every year to enjoy checking out the cars and the action.
I have registered there to bid at it from time to time, and bought my '71 Challenger at the Chicago area Mecum 13 or 14 years ago when the auction was in St Charles. At the time the buyers premium was 6 or 7%, but it's up to 10% now. Back until maybe 15 years ago, registering to be a bidder was free, and they gave bidders free beer and snacks! Now it's $200, and if you want "free" drinks and a few other perks, you have to pay $500 to be a gold bidder.
Well no auctions in Illinois any more. The October auction in Schaumburg is now moved to Indianapolis, so they now have one there in May and one in October.
The one in May is big, something like 3000 cars. I take a day off work and head down there to check them out. It's better than a car show in some ways, as some of the cars at the auction are museum pieces you would be unlikely to see at any show short of a Concours d' elegance.
I wonder what prompted them to move out? I can probably hazard a guess, Illinois taxes and a slowly fading affluent population in the are are my guesses. I can't blame them, I want to flee to another state myself! The last one left in this sinking ship state will be tasked with turning out the lights, and I don't intend for that to be me.
I won't be driving down to Indy in a few weeks, but look forward to heading down next spring for their big May auction.
I'd love to attend a B-J auction someday, but they are all so far away from me, it will be a heavy lift to get to one. But maybe someday.

I've lived here in Scottsdale for 35 years and attended 4 or 5 BJ events early on. Haven't been to one in over 20 years. They are scheduled, this year, from Sunday 21st until Sunday 29th. There is usually another car auction that takes place during the same time as BJ and located just a few miles away. Don't recall the name, but it's not Mecum. January starts our winter invasion from the north. Not only BJ, but we have a PGA golf tournament and The Super Bowl coming up in Feb. Spring training for MLB starts in Feb. and 15 teams come to this greater Phoenix area and their fans. From early Jan. until April 1st. we locals have to shelter in place and not wander too very far from our homes. We do not go to restaurants, malls or movie theaters because they are packed. Traffic and parking is ridiculous. Scottsdale is also a winter golf haven for those who can't wait for spring to come.
You are very welcome to Scottsdale/Phoenix during this time, however, don't say I didn't warn You.
Agree, lots of people. Very expensive to attend. Be prepared to stand in lines. Barret is a big circus. Once you’ve been no need to go again. Plan on going to the Pavillions on Saturday. They can get upwards of 500 cars. Some car owners bring their cars the day before just to get a parking spot.

Auto Transport Service
Back