• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery cable wire gauge

Sorry, but that is incorrect. The red wire to the starter relay "BAT" terminal is 10Awg and the red wire to the starter is 6Awg. The brown wire from the starter relay "Sol" terminal to the starter solenoid is 12awg. The starter relay "I" terminal goes to the ignition switch and is 18Awg. The starter relay "G" terminal is soldered to the relay can for a manual and an automatic has a terminal for a brown wire to the neutral safety switch, also 18Awg. The manual shows the starter solenoid will draw 8-9A @ 6v, which gives approximately 700mOhm for the coil. 12v/0.7= 17.4A and the 12Awg wire is rated at 20A. All of this disregards the resistance of the wire for simplicity. The wire from the battery to the "BAT" terminal on the starter relay has a 12Awg fusible link, so basically, there is no way that wire operates or can even handle 60A...
On mine the small brown and yellow wire is #16 or 14 from the key (relay actuator wire)...the wire from the alternator is #12...goes to the ammeter through the firewall....the wire from the firewall from the ammeter is #12 through a fusible link to the battery terminal on the start relay.... there is no fusible link in the bat wire to the relay or to the starter...the large red wire from the battery to the relay is #4.....from the relay the large red wire to the starter is#4 ...the small red wire from the battery to the start relay is #10.....the black wire from the start relay to the solenoid is #10....all this on a 1971 super bee straight from the factory.

On mine the small brown and yellow wire is #16 or 14 from the key (relay actuator wire)...the wire from the alternator is #12...goes to the ammeter through the firewall....the wire from the firewall from the ammeter is #12 through a fusible link to the battery terminal on the start relay.... there is no fusible link in the bat wire to the relay or to the starter...the large red wire from the battery to the relay is #4.....from the relay the large red wire to the starter is#4 ...the small red wire from the battery to the start relay is #10.....the black wire from the start relay to the solenoid is #10....all this on a 1971 super bee straight from the factory.
I think I looked at the wiring diagram for a '69 or '70 not knowing what he had.

Bob is a straight shooter and has helped many
here solve their issues. He's not very often
incorrect. Seriously.
I was designing and installing electrical systems in all types of new emergency vehicles for the last 10 working years of my career and have never had a malfunction or callback....#10 is good for 60a in a 12 charging system.

Auto Transport Service
Back