• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery Question

AGM is advanced glass mat. They are supposed to have a longer life than regular lead acid batteries.

AGM is advanced glass mat. They are supposed to have a longer life than regular lead acid batteries.

Absorbent Glass Mat...good stuff. I used to pull them out of the scrap battery pile, charge them with a proper charger and use them for my cars. When they are fully discharged it takes a special charger to recharge them.

I just replaced the battery in the '04 Ram; the last, supposedly the Mac Daddy AGM
type that's supposed to last longer, etc. - didn't.
Wound up about the same lifespan as any other battery, really.

This time, the choice was to get one made in PA (East Penn makes batteries for a lot
of brand names, including NAPA) and is pretty good stuff - but pricy, too - or as I found out,
the same series/rating battery over at Wally World was half price!
Come to find out, it's made by Johnson Controls in - get this - Saudi Arabia!
I kid thee not...
Yep, still bought it.

Just buy a battery and put it in. I have had OEM batteries last 8 years and Interstate's last 7. I don't like their green color under the hood with the Interstate's so I bought a Wal Mart EverStart and put a cap and sticker kit on it to make it look more Mopar. It will probably las as long as all the rest.

View attachment 1060950 View attachment 1060951

Another vote for ever start !
There is one in my 2000 plow truck that sets at the shop,
Was in it when I got the truck in 2010 plus it has to run the plow.
( now watch next snow it will be dead lol )

Seems the EverStart line at Walmart is made up of different manufacturers / battery types. The group 65 I got today is clearly an AC Delco w/ the green eye (hydrometer), but has the Everstart label. I anticipated it being a Clarios (formerly JCI) based on the pictures on the website. Oh well.

Guys I just go to my dealer and pick up a new Mopar branded battery ( made by interstate) I have outstanding good luck with them.. Am I lucky? Idk but I get them for wholesale and I like the guys in the parts dept. there and they treat me very good. It says mopar all over and that’s ok for my stuff... lol

Interstate does not make batteries. Their batteries are made by Clarios.

Also be aware, Interstate sticks the car brand stickers on the black batteries as needed. They arrive unlabeled. When an order comes in, they stick on Mazda, Mitsubishi, Infiniti etc. labels right before delivery.

I just replaced the battery in the '04 Ram; the last, supposedly the Mac Daddy AGM
type that's supposed to last longer, etc. - didn't.
Wound up about the same lifespan as any other battery, really.

This time, the choice was to get one made in PA (East Penn makes batteries for a lot
of brand names, including NAPA) and is pretty good stuff - but pricy, too - or as I found out,
the same series/rating battery over at Wally World was half price!
Come to find out, it's made by Johnson Controls in - get this - Saudi Arabia!
I kid thee not...
Yep, still bought it.
Let the Saudi's mess with the lead and acid. One of the reasons why we don't make things in the US. We don't want to mess with the bad stuff.

Last edited:
Let the Saudi's mess with the lead and acid. One of the reasons why we don't make things in the US. We don't want to mess with the bad stuff.
Yep, I figured they don't really have an equivalent of an EPA to concern themselves with over there.
Still blows my mind they can make a battery - and get it to US market - cheaper halfway around the world
than right here.

Yep, I figured they don't really have an equivalent of an EPA to concern themselves with over there.
Still blows my mind they can make a battery - and get it to US market - cheaper halfway around the world
than right here.
Roger that. Shipping containers on ships are pretty efficient. LOL

container ship.jpg

Also be aware, Interstate sticks the car brand stickers on the black batteries as needed. They arrive unlabeled. When an order comes in, they stick on Mazda, Mitsubishi, Infiniti etc. labels right before delivery.
And it's not just car batteries. At work we ordered batteries for Nikon cameras from wherever we could get them.
The Interstates came with their label right over the manufacturer's label. We bought those batteries, also but people swore the Interstates were better.
We even took to peeling the Interstate labels off and got complaints about inferior batteries...so we peeled them off half way.
Then we got accused of APPLYING Interstate labels.

Check out Weskar.com website for repro push-in caps and decals to make your modern maintenance-free battery look like an original. I ordered a set for my '64 and they look great.
On my '67 R/T, I found a larger Group 30 tractor battery at TSC that had individual flat screw-in caps. I replaced these with red caps from a failed repro battery, and put a repro Mopar battery label on it. This battery is larger than a Group 27, so I had to modify tray, but should be fine for trunk mount.
How well do those plastic caps from Weskar actually stick. Just wondering if they will fall off or get knocked off after time?

They have a style that sticks to the top of battery, and another style that presses into the holes that are revealed when you pop the two long caps off the maintenance-free battery. It depends on what battery you have. I bought the press-in ones, and will buy a battery to fit them. I don't know how well the stick-on ones would work, considering heat and fumes under hood.

To the OP, heck if the battery is in the trunk, use the biggest that you can find. In my '65 Coronet drag car I used an 8D diesel battery with no alternator. It would last a weekend with many, many runs & no charging. In my Arrow I used 2 Group 30 batteries, no alternator. A Group 27 will be perfect for you, my Wally batteries have been great.

How well do those plastic caps from Weskar actually stick. Just wondering if they will fall off or get knocked off after time?
After about a year my caps are still on very securely with no issues.

Auto Transport Service
Back