• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bearings post mock up…anything overly concerning or send it?

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
1:47 AM
Reaction score
I finally got it back apart, got the crank out and put the rear main seal in. I gave everything a clean up…I did notice some shiny marks on some of the bearings. Nothing you can feel with a finger nail. I had a these coated in assembly lube…but I’m working in my garage so I’m fighting an uphill battle against dust despite my best efforts.

Anything concerning or does this seem normal? I know it doesn’t take much to leave a mark in the bearing surface.

The crank is back in, I just wanted to make sure it’s all good before I put the pistons in with rings and all.

2059AEDF-089C-4877-83E9-74F1407F1571.jpeg

00E12A27-D535-43DB-A44F-9BF4268AE0FA.jpeg

D0EFF4BE-658E-4B8C-83E3-5D4BE7CE6636.jpeg

88B370A7-3131-449F-8A56-162406AD60E6.jpeg

60BCA2DE-B517-4F6E-AC0D-08C861D2F111.jpeg

44756589-EE08-42EC-8600-F3D16C4586A2.jpeg

No, no reason for concern, the crankshaft rides on a pressurized surface layer of oil and when that's not there, gravity takes over and the crank rides on the bearing surface. Pretty common actually. All the engines I build all have marks from my dial bore gauges.

Go for it. Put it together, and drive the wheels off of it. Have some fun with it. They are tougher than you think. They eat a little dust. Imagine how much dust was floating around the assembly plants.

Go for it. Put it together, and drive the wheels off of it. Have some fun with it. They are tougher than you think. They eat a little dust. Imagine how much dust was floating around the assembly plants.
True, those places were not exactly like computer chip clean rooms.

Kinda strange all the Upper bearings have the same short "Wear" pattern dead Centered on oil hole location ? .....I don't remember seeing that on my few low mileage main bearing inspections ....What do the lower main cap bearings look like ?? .....

Kinda strange all the Upper bearings have the same short "Wear" pattern dead Centered on oil hole location ? .....I don't remember seeing that on my few low mileage main bearing inspections ....What do the lower main cap bearings look like ?? .....
Lowers look pretty much mint except for the marks from the dial bore gauge.

Nothing there that scares me. Looks like the crank may have been rotated dry or everything was not quite clean. Make sure everything is clean and send it.
Doug

Last edited:
If you can 'feel' the marks, you might polish the bearings with some bearing cloth and go from there but looks to me, things do not look bad.

If there really was a gap it would have the wrong bearings. But that is not the case here. The edges are chamfered.
Doug

If there really was a gap it would have the wrong bearings. But that is not the case here. The edges are chamfered.
Doug
I just noticed the edges of the top and bottom bearing half don’t sit flat where they meet. I’m wondering if I need to pull the main cap and try tapping it back before torquing again.

I just noticed the edges of the top and bottom bearing half don’t sit flat where they meet. I’m wondering if I need to pull the main cap and try tapping it back before torquing again.
You are seriously OVER-thinking this! Assemble it and run it...

You are seriously OVER-thinking this! Assemble it and run it...
Haha I suppose you’re right. I just have a lot invested in it and couldn’t just spring for a rebuild if I screw something up. I definitely appreciate all of the help and input from you guys!

The bearing looks normal to me. But I'm not there in person. When in doubt, pull it out. Give yourself piece of mind. .
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back