• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bell housing runout

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:54 PM
Reaction score
The topic of bell housing runout has gained a lot of attention the last few years with the rise in popularity of the aftermarket overdrive manual transmission kits.
Years ago, I never heard of it, never heard of anyone even talking of it. I’d hear guys talk of clutch chatter, the transmission popping out of gear, hard shifting, noise and stuff but did not ever hear that any of those issues being blamed on the runout.
For those that haven’t heard, I’m referring to the relationship between the centerline of the crankshaft and the centerline of the transmission input shaft. When our engines and manual transmissions were first mated together, the story is that the factory put the bell on the engine and line bored the bell housing to the centerline of the crank. Any mis-alignment that may have existed was now corrected and would be eliminated….until you tried using a different bell housing.
I don’t have a lot of experience with Mopar manual transmissions but the ones I’ve had didn’t have any problems despite parts swapping without any regard for runout.
Now though, the companies offering these Tremec and other kits require proof of the measured runout to validate the warranty.
How close do you have to be?
Can you believe no more than .005” off center total.
Whuuut?
I’m a Carpenter…. All my life I dealt with framing houses and schools where if we were within 1/8 of an inch, we were good. (Kidding)
.005 now?? A human hair is wider than that, isn’t it?
I know a guy that didn’t measure his runout at all and his Tremec was fine. He beat on that car then sold it because he wanted to build a house and move out of the teepee he was in.

7508B639-F540-44AC-A889-1ED8D9535FB0.gif

Yeah…..a teepee.

Tee pee ME.JPG

Back on point:
What is it about these new transmissions that the vendors require such precise alignment?
.005 is the limit for the SST kit. If you’re at .006 they won’t honor the warranty??

I did the dial indicator measuring of the runout twice in my car…. The first time WAS my first time ever. The second time was after I pulled and rebuilt the engine. It was a LOT easier with the engine out of the car.
Now I’m helping a FBBO member with his car and the initial number we got is over .080. That is.040 off center, more than a standard spark plug gap.
Correcting that could be difficult.
There are companies that make offset dowels to shift the bell housing around to align the bell to the crank but the available sizes are limited. Nobody makes a .040 dowel from what I’ve seen. SST suggests scraping any and all paint and crud from the mating surfaces of the engine block and bell. I’d be surprised to learn that it helps but it is a fast and no cost effort to try.
In the meantime….I’d be interested in opinions and comments on those that have dealt with unanswered transmission issues that may have been related to a misalignment.
Finally… how is it that automatics don’t have this issue?
Maybe they do.
It could explain cracked flex plates or leaky input seals?

Last edited:
They claim these new transmissions will not shift right with to much run out. Hence no warranty. They did not want to listen to the crying if you did not do as told. I did mine just like they said making sure the flywheel run out was correct and the bell degreed with I believe .012 dowels. I used the Rob MC dowels. For what its worth this is not new as it is illustrated in the FSM. I know guys that have done automatics. You could be right on leaks and flex plates. Precision mechanical is a lot more critical than carpentry. Plus I was always told a carpenter can easily cover up his mistakes. [lol]. Mechanical is just about impossible to cover up long term wise.

I would check radial runout, but you can drive yourself nuts if you get too involved. The bell housing
could be checked to see if both surfaces are parallel, and the back face of the block could be checked
to see if it's perpendicular to the crankshaft bores, Then there are the dowel pins. You can use the offset
dowels, or knock the bell housing where it needs to be and ream the holes oversize and make new dowel
pins. You can buy them in 1/64" increments. Everything matters!

Uh, check the FSM.

On the one that’s off .040, zzyyxx has the required method.

:lol:Carpenter’s credo,
“Do your best, caulk the rest”
There is also this one.....
"Caulk and paint makes you what you aint".
Don't misunderstand me....I do know the importance of precise measurements. I'm just curious as to why it seems that the new overdrives are so sensitive to runout.
My 440 block only needed .014 offset dowels to bring the bell into range.
The car I'm helping with now is over .040 off center. I wonder what the chances are of the bell itself being to blame. I wish I had another bell nearby to check. I'm going to put the word out to some local friends. I'd like to borrow one to do a test fit and measure.

I’m just messing’ with ya Kern.
My best friend is a retired carpenter and without him and his jigsaw, this would have never happened by myself!
IMG_2940.jpeg

I'm not a welder, I'm a grinder :lol:

anyway, yes....... have swapped around several 4 speeds, stock bells, Lakewood bells, ect. back in the day........ never had time for no stinking runout, actually never heard of it (back then)

I have a 833 OD in my Charger. I did not do a runout, mainly because I was trying to get the car together. Said I would get it later. Well 6 years and 16k miles it's still kicking. The clutch does chatter when cold. It has been oil contamination when front seal on the trans leaked, and it has seen its share of abuse.

Tremec uses roller bearings on the i put shaft, 833 uses ball bearings. Thats the need for precision alignment on the Tremec.

No experience with these new fangled 5spds, but I've been dialing in race 4spd BHs since the mid '70s. Never bothered on a street car, but when racing and shifting 7k rpm and above it was must to make the gear changes. Found some of the scatter shields I used could be off quite a bit, and I did have one that was out as much as mentioned in the 0.040"s. Used the DC offset pins and I think there was a 0.040" pin pair in the kit.
Dowell.JPG

My current QuickTime Vader helmet was .004 out of the box.
Does it really matter? Probably not much in my opinion.
Why did I measure the runout? Just because I suppose.
Stab the tranny and run it Kern.

Ahhh...I can't do that. The vendor requires documentation of measuring the runout to no more than .005 or less to warranty the transmission. When you spend $7000 on one of these kits, you're inclined to do what it takes to get it right.
I have one friend that set aside a bellhousing for me to use. I wouldn't mind another though. If the other bells also have excessive runout in the same direction, it seems that would indicate an indexing issue with the crank not being centered or the mounting surface of the block being drilled out of spec.
Sometimes weird stuff happens and you have to find a way around it.
To the topic of automatic transmissions...
I noticed during my 5 speed swap when I pulled the flex plate off of my 440/493, it had 2 cracked ears.

SST 162.JPG
SST 163-2.JPG

I had a buddy that cracked the hubs on 2 different flexplates within a couple of months on this car:

MME.JPG

It was just a mild 360.

What about you? Have you accidently found broken parts like this and didn't know what caused it?
What if all along it was excessive runout?

Ahh, missed the auto tranny part. I'm speaking from a manual perspective. Grab the input shaft on freshly rebuilt 833 and wiggle it. 1/16" of play or more. They were designed that way because of bellhousing alignment issues out of the factory (I believe).
Not an auto guy here. I need three pedals.

Automatics should be too..... and when I pulled my old race car apart at the end of the season, the flex plate was broken on three ears. That was back in the mid 80's and had read about dialing them in. I was a journeyman Machinist by mid 83 and found out how important it was.

The other thing to keep in mind is that there is easily .05" of slop in just bolting the bell on.
First the bell is located by dowels, second I can tell you from personal experience there's maybe.025-.03 bolt clearance... Not .05 Greg has already seen that he doesn't have clearance either....

The original dowels in my 440/495 during my Tremec installation:

SST 372.JPG

SST 373.JPG

SST 374.JPG

Those look really short to me. I wonder if the holes in bellhousings are tapered at all at the edges. If so, these dowels are almost useless!

SST 379.JPG

You're looking at the ends that were in the block. I welded lug nuts to the face side to crank them out.

The new ones were much longer:

SST 360.JPG

Look how much they stick out past the bell:

601 I.JPG

601 J.JPG

Someone had driven your dowels in deeper than normal... Usually they stick out about 7/16 of an inch...

Auto Transport Service
Back