• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Been paying attention to the stock market again.....

My point was-

Let's say you're a large company that sells a product.

Your operating costs for whatever reason (labor, cost of raw materials, etc), goes up 20%.

How does the consumer ever know that your 35% price increase, coupled with a 5% reduction in the amount of product sold at the same price as before..

...is legitimately due to "passing along" the increased costs or not?
Was mentioning how record profits impact record stocks, as some indication. If a corporation posts a 50% increase in profits over a fiscal year, another 30% increase over the year prior to that, I’d guess someone in the chain must be spending less, making more money, while another is spending more…or at best the same.

Stock Market gains are nice, but still don’t keep up with Bidenflation. Anything not in a Roth gets killed if you want to buy a Hellcat or some such.

Stock Market gains are nice, but still don’t keep up with Bidenflation. Anything not in a Roth gets killed if you want to buy a Hellcat or some such.
That’s why I bought the GTXs with Roth and capital gains money, and drive an ancient Lexus as my daily. Something to talk about at Carlisle, lol.

Stock Market gains are nice, but still don’t keep up with Bidenflation.
Big money speculators, 1st on lowering the interest rates that didn't happen
& big $$$ playing games with their fortunes mostly
during a 40% in real inflation period like "right now"
you'd have to have some serious growth

in it for the long term

Bingo
Bingo - Steve Carrol agressive finger pointing.gif

I'm not into day trader stuff
I keep track of my investments, I'm in it for the long haul...

I take a few risks here & there, but not any real loses
just not as much gain as was supposed to be

Something to be said of the High Risk & High Reward
you have to watch that stuff like a hawk, I don't want to do that...
But, I don't gamble a lot with that stuff...
I have like $10k I will mess around with,
that way I can't get hurt too bad if it goes belly up
still don't like those loses, I like stuff that has dividends 1st...
If that goes well, I take that $10k, if I make it back
& reinvest in something else...
Diversity...
Long haul strategies...
Making a quick buck seems to bight me the arse...
When it's too good to be true, it usually is short-term...

Chevron Oil, Home Depot & Lowes have been good
I have very lil' tech stock, I got hurt bad doing that,
learned my lesson in 2007-2008, too volatile at times...
I still have stuff from when I 1st started too
hanging on to it...
I have some good dividends, some mediocre,
as long as it has a return, more % than like a bond/CD does etc.
& not loss, I keep it...
A couple I got from my Granddad, he was pretty good at it...
Some stuff he got in early on, that's now 10 times it was when I got it...
Unless my agent says sell, then I do a bit of research...
I usually don't complete sell off all, I pause watch 1st,
then If I agree, it's not looking good I sell, put that money into
something else/reinvest...
I have a good financial consultant Tod with Edward James, locally...
I see something I run it by him now 1st
he's been good at predicting bad & good, uncanny good...

Diversify, my word of the 21st century...

Interesting that our investor is Todd and is with Edward Jones. I actually suggested a stock he was a little sceptical about. But it made good returns for his other clients also. My one hit wonder.

It will if you hang around long enough, records prove that.
Please recheck my reply – ‘always’ go up? Seems to me that it tends to roll up then down, back up again…in other words, it doesn't run on a constantly-always upward pattern..

Those are the "buying opportunities".

However-

Story of my life.
Bought at arrow.

1712327881447.png

Every now and then, you get this, though-

1712328267861.png

Just putting this up, No Prediction from me personally:

20240326_085005.jpg

Just putting this up, No Prediction from me personally:

View attachment 1641291
Having watched and invested in the market for the last 40 years, I have noticed that when you read market pundits predictions of what is going to happen soon in the market, there are always some of them are saying the market is on the verge of a huge correction or plunge. And some of them are saying the market has a long way to go on the upside. And some who are saying the market is going to hold fairly steady.
So you end up either believing the ones who support the opinions you already lean toward, or else just dismiss it all as just being a bunch of background noise, and try to ignore them.
Economists are similar. They all come up with different theories. Then when one seems to have it nailed, they get selected to get a Nobel prize. But you have to wonder, are they really much smarter than their peers, or is it a case where if enough people come up with enough different theories, one of those theories was bound to be correct?
On a related note, someone set up ETF funds that bet against market pundit's Jim Cramer and Cathy Woods stock picks. I haven't checked to see how they are doing.
You can bet against Jim Cramer with a new ETF from the fund that shorts Cathie Wood
At the end of the day, if you picked stocks or predicted future stock performance by having a chimp throw darts at a dartboard and then buying the stocks that the dart hit, you'd probably do better than most experts long term performance!

All I know at this point is that the Wife and I have already recovered 58.2% of what we pulled out on Jan 11th... so let it ride.

Oh, that and I should have bought a 100 grand worth of actual gold when it was $300/ounce!

Auto Transport Service
Back